Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

davidmoll

spring assist lift on 36 inch snow thrower

davidmoll
My 6216 tractor and 36 inch snow thrower has a spring assist lift on the left side only. This causes the snow thrower to tilt to the right when throwing snow running slightly uneven wearing out the right side skid shoe. Do others have the same problem? I leave the spring on so my wife can blow snow when I am away and make it easier for her to lift up the snow thrower. I actually had to push down the snow thrower to adjust the left side shoe to the same height as the right side. Also my grease nipple sheared off on my pulley shaft to the cahin drive. Can I use a bolt drill extractor to get it out? Thanks Moleman

GLPointon
Electric lift is an awsome improvement...you and your wife will love it... But for now what if you used a weaker spring? or can it be moved to a more centered location? or add a counter weight ?

JohnMBerst
I changed the front spring from frame to blower to the lift arm pivot (Armstrong) below the right running board. Added a bracket to between frame and running board, use these holes to mount. Helped ease lifting, and even. This year added some light duty springs to the front, which also helps. Will try to add photos later this week if needed. Thinking of adding another spring, like the frame to blower spring, after this year to aid the lifting. Not sure how to add a counter weight.

JohnMBerst
Photos of the added bracket below, moving the spring form the frame / blower to under the running board and lift arm.

And the added springs I added thie year to the frame / blower. Not close ups but hope you get the idea. sm01