Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 7119 w/ Kohler Series I

frecato

Just purchased a 7119 with the Kohler KT19s series I I believe (49130). The guy said that he has owned it for 6 years and just used it for snow plowing and never had an issue with it. When I bought it I noticed that the oil was a little low. I know these have lubrication issues but I wanted to know if there was anything I could do to keep it going or is it inevitable that I will have issues later on and just look into flipping it (I want to make this my go to tractor and find a cab for it to keep me warm in the winter.) Thanks for your help guys.

I would ad oil to it or change it and see how many hours you can put on it before you have to ad to it again. If it doesn't need oil added before the recommended oil changes, I would say it is fine. The other guy says he has owned it 6 years. Maybe he only changed it once. Everything is going to have issues sooner or later. I have bought tractors that were 30 years old that the hydro filter had never been changed on in the past. Previous owner was wondering why the hydro was sluggishsm00. Changed the filter and oil and it operates fine. There are all kind of re power options if needed.

I love those type of guys...thats where we usually get the best deals, guys that dont maintain anything...then act suprised when it breaks down...:Qwah
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
I would ad oil to it or change it and see how many hours you can put on it before you have to ad to it again. If it doesn't need oil added before the recommended oil changes, I would say it is fine. The other guy says he has owned it 6 years. Maybe he only changed it once. Everything is going to have issues sooner or later. I have bought tractors that were 30 years old that the hydro filter had never been changed on in the past. Previous owner was wondering why the hydro was sluggishsm00. Changed the filter and oil and it operates fine. There are all kind of re power options if needed.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
I would ad oil to it or change it and see how many hours you can put on it before you have to ad to it again.
so other then just watching the oil and changing it, is there anything I can do as precautionary measures to prevent it from lubrication issues.

Another item I found with my KT-17: If the carb float stuck open, the oil would take on gasoline. That was a bad deal. Add a fuel shutoff, check the oil frequently.

Up and down hills are OK. Stay away from running on side hills (like mowing ditches) for more than a few seconds. Also because of the little amount of oil in the crankcase (a little over a quart), keep the engine clean (blow out the fins often) to prevent over heating. There are many Series I still running just fine (I have one), just take of it.