Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4041 front wheels

PatterBrian

John Tell me about the front wheels on the 4041 with power steering. I like than look better than the wheels I have on mine, which match those on your tractor with the loader.

This tractor has the factory AG tire setup. The fronts are 4.00 - 12's, the rears are 8-16's. The original front tires were tri-ribs, the current tires are basically boat trailer tires.
[img]http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g409/1944corp/powermax%20power%20steering/DSCN2127.jpg[/img]
The narrow front tires work very well with the snow plow, good steering control. They would not be very good with the front end loader, they would sink into soft ground too much. Thats why the factory offered 3 tire options. John U

I want to replace my front tires, which are a turf tire, I think. Do I ned to find a Simpliciity wheel, or is this a standard sort of wheel? Thanks for your quick response to my first question, and to my many previous inquiries.

Brian, If you want to go with the narrow wheels, here is a link to a wheel you could use. It is a standard 12" diameter x 4" wide trailer rim with 5 lugs on 4 1/2" centers. [url]http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Dexstar/AM20112.html[/url] There are lots of 4.00 X 12 tri-rib tires listed on e-bay. You can probably get the tires and wheels though any good independent tire shop. The narrow factory rims on my tractor are in fact the same as were used on Farmall Cubs. They are 12 X 3 rims with extra holes for weights. They are available new, as reproductions, or better yet, there are currently two sets of orginals on e-bay at resonalble prices. Just search for "farmall cub rims" and you will find them. Hope this answers your question. John U

Bolt pattern is quite standard but offset can vary. You do want to get the proper offset to ensure proper look & clearance. Suggest you talk to Mr. Miller at Miller Tire. Price may be higher but he will know the correct specs. Have purchased several sets from them & they fit & look original. They are imports but what isn,t these days. Price is about $50.00 each plus shipping

If I remember correctly, we used the Carlisle rears off our 7116 (23x10.50x12s) on the front of our 4040 for extra flotation. I thought they bolted right up.
quote:
Originally posted by PatterBrian
I want to replace my front tires, which are a turf tire, I think. Do I ned to find a Simpliciity wheel, or is this a standard sort of wheel? Thanks for your quick response to my first question, and to my many previous inquiries.

quote:
Originally posted by StanD
Bolt pattern is quite standard but offset can vary. You do want to get the proper offset to ensure proper look & clearance. Suggest you talk to Mr. Miller at Miller Tire. Price may be higher but he will know the correct specs. Have purchased several sets from them & they fit & look original. They are imports but what isn,t these days. Price is about $50.00 each plus shipping
Stan brings up a good point. According to the Powermax user manual, the front wheel tread width (center to center of the front tires) is 42 1/2" with the valve stems in. With the valve stems out the tread width is 36 7/8. Doing the math, taking the difference of the two widths, and dividing by two, shows an offset of 2 13/16 inches. Looking at my front wheels, I would say that is right. Before buying 4 X 12 trailer wheels, I would ask about the offset, it is not listed for the wheels I mentioned in a earlier post. John U