Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dont buy from Sears.com...

SmilinSam

Sears, a trusted name for me for decades. Not anymore.... Found Sears . Com with 2 Carlisle 23x8.50x12 Power Trac ag tread tires listed. 102.99 each. They had two. I bought 1 to go with the one I already have. Even used my sears charge card. Got it two days later, that was the first week of November. Opened the box to see a Deestone Turf tire same size. Immediately made all the necesary phone calls and e-mails to the contacts listed on the website. Also filed a dispute with Sears credit cards. Was told by a sears.com rep on the phone that these are sold through 3rd party vendors, however usually on wrong merchandise reciepts vendors would issue a pick up order and have UPS/fedex pick it up at their expense. A week went by with no results and no contact from anyone to me. Made contact through e-mail with Sears.com and got sent on a 3 week circular e-mail journey. Got no where. Credit card company said they cant do anything either. I have to take the issue up with the particular vendor. Ended up today sending the tire back at my expense. Have no idea whether I will end up paying restocking fees, or even get a refund , or the right tire at all. Not holding my breath. On Sears ,com, I have noticed that the remaining tire is still listed, and has been for the last few weeks since I bought the one I never got. Today I see the listing has been changed to reflect a different vendor( now cleary labeled in the ad) and at a price of 106.99. Talk about getting shafted..sm00XX(ngr2 Guess I'll start buying all my tools and appliances elsewhere from now on, because Sears is Sears is Sears to me... Not what it used to be by any stretch of the imagination.

Good customer service is a thing of the past...And Sears/K-Mart always valued your buisness...BeforeC Sorry to here that Sam...will you get your matching tires ever? Most big companies are also guilty of this. I fought w/Comcast & spoke w/3 reps before gettin a supervisor to remove a charge we never incured. they did take an extra $30 off my bill (reimbursement for gettin my blood pressure up!)ngr2 and I said I'm going to directv if not resolved now...

Sam - I'm the tire Product Manager at Gemplers in Madison, WI. Give our Tech reps a call and tell them what you want. Our suppliers may be able to get it for you. We're certainly not the least expensive, but we will listen to you and have the best customer service around. I'm not trying to take advantage of this situation because I am a huge Simplicity fan. I recently had a bad encounter with Sears myself. If we can't get it, we'll tell you. Thanks. Randy.

I hate their new website with all the 3rd party junk. I suppose they did it for the advertising revenue but they are selling products from competing businesses. Its about as silly as going to Ford.com to buy a new Chevy.

According to the carlisle catalog that tire is only available now in 4.80 - 8 size. The POWER TRAC any way. http://www.carlisletire.com/media/catalogs/bigbiters.pdf

That is rather surprising to hear about the Sears experience. Even though Sears Holdings is the parent company I would not call Kmart "owned" by Sears. As an employee of SHC/Kmart they always say that Kmart bought Sears and operates it. That said, in Kmart at least we try to focus on customer service and resolving issues. Perhaps that is unique to my particular store, but I can't imagine it is that unusual.

K Mart, sort of. But also Sears, sort of. . . Kmart was originally owned by the "Kmart Holdings Company". Sears was owned by "Sears, Roebuck, and Company", which was in turn owned by Hoffman Estates. In 2005, the Kmart Holdings Company bought the Sears, Roebuck, and Company (and with it, the Sears stores). So in that respect, you could say that "Kmart" now owns "Sears". But the story doesn't quite end there. After the merger, the Kmart Holdings Company, which now owned both Kmart and Sears, changed its name to the "Sears Holding Company". So now the Sears Holdings Company owns both Kmart and Sears. So in that respect, it's more correct to say that Sears owns Kmart. The only true statement you can make along these lines is that "The company that always owned Kmart now also owns Sears", but it's really not 100% correct to say that either "Sears owns Kmart" or "Kmart owns Sears". Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Holdings_Corporation I remember at the time it shocked me how a company could emerge from bankruptcy and buy another hugh corporation. You would think the bankruptcy was unnecessary. Seems more or less a way to screw it`s creditors to me.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
According to the carlisle catalog that tire is only available now in 4.80 - 8 size. The POWER TRAC any way. http://www.carlisletire.com/media/catalogs/bigbiters.pdf
Thats correct Ray. I have a set on my 2012 and one loose tire. Want to find another NOS tire if possible to make a pair so the two short frames have matching sets. Got the one suggestion above and another to folow up on, so maybe I will get lucky;)

Nice to hear people talking about big corporations hiding behind anything they can. Founded on bankruptcy - there's a strong moral base to build. Hiding behind Call Center's with know-nothing operators who will address your every concern - o yeh, and if you believe in that, or have any confidence in it, welcome to the rip war you are about to discover. A popular trend - it's all about hiding from legal responsibility. In the meantime, they can do what they want to you as long as it's kept in the dark - and this talk sheds light, but it's not even the beginning of the tip of the iceberg. It's a new business model designed to be a money funnel. Just you try to stop it. This is such a dark force, I fear for us all. As for Wall St, and all that, omg. And I thought it was only in Canada - I did not think this possible in the USA - haha - I guess it must be LEGAL, or something. To me, it is very sick, and deadly. The words "How may I help you" (to contribute to our global cause). And this global marketing being promoted as O SO GOOD - who's behind that? I dunno - just a stupid consumer. Wall street clearly demonstrated the corporations are more important than people - disposable main street trash swept away. nice, clean. and the money just disappeared - right? untraceable? If I did that..... that would be ok too? end of perhaps related rant. people need to talk about this - get the word out - everyone is asleep.

quote:
Originally posted by rm
i just bought a set of craftsman wrenches. there made in china or japan :(
Some good things are made in Japan. I know USA jobs is a big thing but there is a good quality margin on some Japanese items vs US vs China.

My last dealings with sears parts was 2 years ago now...I needed a handle and adaptor for their version of Zip Cut Rotary cutter, grinder, sander tool I have. When I placed the order, they told me the handle assembly was on B/O and would be 2 weeks. OK, I thought. They charged my card for the full amount and shipped the 2 adaptors. Got them in 2 days. 2 months later, after about 6 emails I still did not have the handle assembly so I called. It was still on B/O!! Told them to cancel the order for the handle, I had the tool sold if I could only get the friggen handle. Long story short, I still have the tool, I finally got a refund from sears after 2 weeks of emails and phone calls. I thought it was over. Four months later, surprise, surprise...USPS drops off a package...it's the handle assembly. 2 days later get another package, same thing. Never heard from sears after that, and I ain't going back. Boox

No more sears power tools for me either!!! The recoil springs on my 2 year old 18" chain saw broke last year and they were no longer available. Fortunately I was able to reshape the broken springs and make them work. So far I've not had any problem with their hand tools.

It's not just Sears. I work in a job where I work with dairy farmers in Wisconsin every day. Just yesterday, a farmer told me about a piece of equipment he bought from a major farm equipment company. This company also sells lawn and garden equipment with shiny green paint and bright yellow seats. Anyway the equipment was a corn head for a forage chopper. When it was a year and a day old, a roller chain broke, completely plugging the chopper and head with corn and the chain was fed into the chopper and broke most of the knives in the chopper. The warranty was a for a year and like I said, this unit was one day over. The dealer he bought this from came out and they discovered that the connecting links for all of the roller chains on this corn head were installed improperly. The little spring clip was installed, but the heavy piece under it was not there. Here is a link to a picture of the thing I'm talking about.[url][/url]http://www.amazon.com/Koch-7541040-Roller-Connector-4-Pack/dp/B004HKITQG Not only that, but when they inspected two other brand new heads on the dealer's lot, they too were installed improperly right from the factory. Even though the rep from the company that sells the equipment with the bright yellow seats was presented with this evidence, he would do NOTHING for this farmer and the dealer swallowed $2500 in parts and the farmer did the work himself to fix the chopper. Makes me not want to buy any equipment from that company.

Sam I hear you. Craftsman wrench guarantee and return isnt what it used to be either. Cheapest supplier and just in time inventory makes it a pricy HF type outlet in my book.
quote:
Even though the rep from the company that sells the equipment with the bright yellow seats was presented with this evidence, he would do NOTHING for this farmer and the dealer swallowed $2500 in parts and the farmer did the work himself to fix the chopper
And we wonder why equipment dealers have a hard time making it. Even the large yellow-seat companies won't back their dealers up to supply service needed to satisfy. What happened to the days of a regional block man who's job was liaison b/t dealer and corporate?

I keep thinking stuff like these events are domestic terrorism - of course that's extreme, especially when it comes down to us just trying to eat and put a roof over our heads and keep it there. At my age, I thought I had learned a few things about life; but apparently I missed the part about "they eat their young". Naw, they wouldn't do that; they wouldn't get away with it. Now I listen to ads on television for what they aren't saying; and I picture the lemmings jumping over a cliff. How did I get that wonderful opportunity? Thanks to the legals and the bean counters, the quality of life takes a giant step backwards; now that the competition has been trampled in the dust, and the big get bigger. And computer assisted yet. Blindsided. I want to protest; but that's almost illegal too. But if I start a corporation, I can be free because I contribute to the economy, which is more important than the people in it. Ok, I don't understand. Equal opportunity for all unless I am too late? Is it too late? What's the game called again? - my mental escalation of the topic gets the better of me - I can't see the boundaries anymore. sorry, it's just what I see, or don't see. and I fear the worst anarchy ever. it's amazingly insane. and we criticize what goes on in other countries. this is like something described in the revelation. and like some others, trusting in the gov in my country is also strained. it's hard for me to even write this. I like to trust in the process; but I only see worse. Is this how voting is important, cos these concerns are on the agenda? I'm losing it. end. feel free to delete this post - as off topic, or whatever. that would almost be comforting. Tomorrow the sun will rise again. And I need to work on my tractor. At least, I have a tractor, and a place to work on it. Peace.

• 3 weeks later...
Update: I did get full credit for the $120.00 on my sears card, but I ate the $10 shipping I paid to send their wrong tire back. On a nicer note, shortly after my last entry in this topic I found another lone Carlisle Power Trac on Ebay , new for $50 buy it no & free shipping! So... $70 for the one I had, $10 for the one I didnt get, and $50 for this one makes a pair of new Ags for $130. Cant gripe about that when most decent ags are running over $200 a pair these days new.:D Another funny note is that day after Christmas my wife and I were in Sears and she wanted a elliptical exersize machine they had for sale. They had the thing sold to us till they started to ring it up. Wouldnt let us use the rewards points and also get the no interest. You can do that, but the programming in their cash registers wasnt written to make it happen. Took almost a half hour of waiting and 3 people to figure the fix to that. Then they started hammering away on selling a expensive maintinance agreementsm00. I suggested he was saying this item wouldnt hold up. He stuttered and stammered and said, no, it just needs periodic adjustments. I again suggested that he was saying this itme wasnt worth what is was being sold for if it wouldnt make it a couple years of so without work to it. He stood thre with a dazed empty look...:D Yet, he kept up the pressure...so we walked away as he stood there with a line of people staring as in disbelief. He had it sold if he would have just kept is mouth shut:O

Sam, I think he may have done you a favor. It has been my experience that most of those home exersize machines get a ton of use.........for the first week or so. Then, not so much. You certainly wouldn't need any extended service agreement, they usually look and work like brand new a year, or two, or ten later.:)

I was told that retailers make more profit on the service agreements they sell then on the product itself...explains why they push 'em so much... Sam, I'm glad you made them see what being pushy gets 'em sm01