Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My New Project/Toy--1960 Simplicity 700

Simpastor

I thought I would post some pictures of my newly acquired project/toy. I found this listed on CL for $20. I emailed and said I would take it and pick it up the next day. The PO emailed back and said she had an offer for $50. She said if I would go $50 and could pic it up the next day to email her back. I agreed and picked it up just after noon the next day. It needs some work but it is pretty much all there. It came with the 42" deck. I have taken the carb off to begin my attempt at getting it running.

Today I acquired a 46" Snow plow/Dozer blade (1690088)for $75 off of CL. I think that is a good deal too. My wife couldn't understand spending more on a blade than the tractor.

I,m here in Muskegon, I missed it where did you buy it? I am an owner of the 725 the model after yours and I love it. Took awhile to get it running the way I wanted it but finally did thanks to this club. Welcome, and remember EVERYTHING that you need to know can be found here. If your like me youll get used to the search function on the site. Nice ride, have fun.

Yeah, both great grabs! Seems more and more Michiganders are coming out of the wood work! Welcome to the club!

Be prepared to get a new coil for it .Most of them are bad . They will start fine but when you bring it up to full throttle after warm it will start to miss and will just barely keep running.If you are pulling the engine do it right away to make your job easier. I have 3 of them so I know only to well. Bob

quote:
Originally posted by henroan
I,m here in Muskegon, I missed it where did you buy it?
You were prbably closer to the tractor than he was:O It was just south of you, in Grand Haven.

Yep I must have missed that one too, ultimate goal to get a tractor built the year I was born. Nice find!! Welcome to the club, I am over between Big Rapids and Mt. Pleasant.

Welcome to the club. Looks like a fun resoration canadite...nice score dOd (Tell your wife the snowplow wasnt expensive, the tractor was just inexpensive)

Is it me, or does it kinda look like (at first glance) there is an Allis Chalmers giant logo on the front of the dumpster? I had to save the pic and blow it up just to be sure. Or maybe its just time for bed XX(

At first glance, it struck me that way too, but it's a local waste management co's logo. If I didn't see it everyday, I wouldn't have known... 8)

Look what I picked up today. These are only one digit away from being exactly what I need. However, what can you expect for 10 bucks? If anyone has some for a 700 (in good shape), needs some for a 600, and wants to trade, let me know

Now where did you find those? I'd say $10 was a deal. Seems the old badges can be rough to find, or are busted up. Those are pretty cool...

quote:
Originally posted by ZippoVarga
Odd......Wonderboy 600? New one on me. I wonder if this wasn't for the Canadian exports? Welcome to the Club!!!!!
It appears Simplicity began making these in 1962. I don't know how many are around. I have never seen one myself.

The first 4 wheel Simplicity garden tractor was called the Wonderboy and that was in 1958. With your machine having the short steering column, it pre-dates 1962. By 1962, Simplicity added a couple inches to the height of the steering shaft to make it easier to lift the hood. My Montgomery Wards Garden Mark Squire is a short column and my 725 is the taller version. According to your engine numbers, one could speculate that your Simplicity was made some time after October 1960 (The month and year your engine was manufactured.) This dispels the possibility of it being a Wonderboy and makes it a Model 700. Either a late 1960 or an early 1961, so your spot on with the year of your machine. I just realized that the Wonderboy600 badges you have are from a rear engine rider! Duh!! lol.....I was stuck in large frame land and didn't consider the little guys.

Well, I did some work on the 700. I got the carb rebuilt, oil changed, gas tank cleaned, and tires aired up. I still need fuel line, fuel filter, and a gasket. I also did some more shopping and found another set of rear tires on the rims for 7 bucks a piece. now I just need to find or make a dual kit. I need some parts for my Briggs. Anyone know where I can get a illustrated parts list for that model? Thanks

Send me an email at ZippoVarga@aol.com and I'll send you a copy of the model 19 Briggs IPL and manual. Put "Model 19" in the subject line so I'll know.