Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

berco 2 stage on sovereign now available

hotrodtractor

I know many are happy with the 42" single blowers, but as many know I like to push things to the extreme (ie sovy with a 31hp vanguard). I have now perfected 2 stage blowers on sovereign series tractors. I am very impressed with the bercomac (berco) blower the tolerance between the fan and housing is tighter than any blower I have seen. These are touted as the "best" and farthest throwing blowers out there. The build quality is good and they produce blowers for the majority of the OEMs. To let you guys in on the deal the 40" berco's fit very nice on the sovereigns. I have had ariens and they fit nice also, but require a long long belt and a bit of fabrication. I have found a way to keep the factory snow blower (A144) belt and make things a direct bolt on deal. I use berco's hitch made for hondas with some modifications and bolt it to the factory sovereign single pulley hitch and run it of the BGB. PERFECT. I have also made it so one can use a shorter belt and mount the blower and hitch to tractor without the need for the expensive factory single pulley hitch. Both setup's work great and do not see and performance difference. It's looks like finally we have found a viable option to the 42" single stage that we have put up with for so many years. This package was engineered with a X simplicity engineer who has time tested package which he been using for about 15yrs. I was informed that this blower was to go into production for sovereigns had they not been discontinued. For those who do not believe that look at a manual for the sovereigns (the black paper manuals) and look on last page where they show accessories and you will see a X for 40" 2 stage snow blower!! This is the same blower head as used on landlords but the hitch is much much different. This thing is sweet and will try to get some video throwing snow over the house roof when we get some snow. The blowers are about $2k from berco. Check the simpletractors classifieds or ebay you may just find that they are listed much much cheaper HINT HINT I scored a deal on several;)

right now I am with manual shoot and turner but electric is avail for couple hundred http://www.bercomac.com/accessories-options-31-compact-snowblower-electric-lift.php?noModeleVehicule=125 spout rotater is mounted on a bracket that fits nicely and shares a bolt with the running board.It's also spring/gear drive no more cables to break 8D It throws snow a good 70 feet. similar berco here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL_6y7sDYw0

no video yet but next good snow I will try to get one taken. I can tell you it moves so much air that it will blow my hat off if I stand near the discharge shoot. I see no need for anymore RPM or pulley upgrade as this seems like a perfect fit. The pulley size and orientation on the blower is near the same as the one on the 42" single simplicity ones. Just all around amazing how nice it fits and works.

Now that's hot rodding at it's best! Very nice engineering! I sure hope you don't find that one paper that didn't hit the porch like I did! Yikes! That a powerful looking machine, great job! sounds like a conversion package is in the works!

Thanks for kind words. I just wanted an alternative to the single stage and after selling my 36" ariens 2 stage that I had on my sovereign after 2 days on CL I new others did also. If or should I say when the market wants these I could see going into production with it. Right now I have access to about a dozen at the reduces price after that I will need to work on a different source (and pretty sure cost will double). About the only thing that could be perfected a bit more is the lift point, and that could be improved easily with some more time. It's a complete bolt on deal right now, and swapping between the single and 2 stage is a 5 min job and my favorite is that they share the same belt and hitch.

Actually the two-stage blowers for the Prestige, and Legacy are from Berco. The one I have on the Sunstar is Berco. The only thing I don't like about mine and I hope they have changed the design on them is the bottom plate and the plate under the auger create a space there that collects moisture and rusts. I had to take it to a welder this Fall and have him make a new plate for the bottom. Isn't as good as I would like it but will do.

Here they are; http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-2-stage-Bercomac-berco-snow-blower-snowblower-simplicity-honda-deere-ariens-/260912007134?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbf9147de

yes berco mfrs for many OEM even the kubota ones look to be bercos. Anyway the little 40" is a good fit for the sovereign and the weight is near the same as the 42" single. There are bigger blowers out there but this would be a perfect fit for a 16-20hp machine. With my 31hp I am sure I am over powering it... but hey that's just my style dOd

quote:
Originally posted by jmhusby
Actually the two-stage blowers for the Prestige, and Legacy are from Berco. The one I have on the Sunstar is Berco. The only thing I don't like about mine and I hope they have changed the design on them is the bottom plate and the plate under the auger create a space there that collects moisture and rusts. I had to take it to a welder this Fall and have him make a new plate for the bottom. Isn't as good as I would like it but will do.
Did you ever use a single stage on your Sunstar? If so how do they compare? My single stage is coming on its 20th winter, and I have never had a problem with it. It handles anything I put in it from lite fluffy to the stuff that comes out like soft serve icecream. But I have a 2 stage I've been thinking about trying out. Don't know why really, just curious.

bottom line for me. Simplicity single is great but just will not throw like the berco. I run both a single and dual stage. I use the single in the wet stuff and the dual when it's bitter cold and need the throw distance. I also run a 6" pulley on NOS 42" single and it only throws about half as far as the 2 stage. In slush is the only time I would take the single over berco. There's no arguement that the simple design of the single should last longer, but have heard good things about berco blowers in general. With 2 stage no need to moderate speed just set it and forget it. For me with a 31hp thats just full tilt on hydro ;) I had a 2 stage ariens on my sunstar and it was unstoppable.

That blower looks great. How heavy is is compared to the single stage 42" blower? My problem is that if I threw snow that far it would have to land on the neighbors' driveways! Probably wouldn't be very popular. I currently have two Sovereigns, a 7016 and a 2000 Sovereign that I sold the Triad engine out of and am saving money to buy one of Al's kits. I have hitches for both (front clutch for the 7016) and single stage blowers for both (the newer blower has about 8 hours use on it) so I guess I'll just have to enjoy the videos for now! Here are my two Sovereigns blowing snow, both with my old blower however. [url][/url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg2Gmq2EjLA [url][/url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdjUH3UzRkQ

I never had a single stage on the Sunstar. The single stage we have on the Prestige does as good of a job and I like blowing snow with it much better than the Sunstar. Several reasons, foot control over hand control is great and we have the electric shute control and hight adjustment from the seat also. Of course if you were to give me the ultimate snow machine, Legacy with Kawasaki liquid cooled engine and glass cab with heater, you could put a single or two-stage blower on it, I would be happy with either:D:D.

wow O wow blew some snow this morning and had to run at 1/2 throttle to avoid throwing into neighbors house. The single shakes the tractor to death the bero is so smooth can barley tell it's running. I am keeping several for myself as I just amazed how this works. Used both side by side and had to run fast with the single to keep chute full to get any real throw distance. Just shocked I can't convince the guru's here how good this is... local guys your welcome to wintness it in person........nothing to hide this is just amazing.

Kevin you could mount four on front and do the whole driveway or road in one pass.Just imagine it would be like a ski resort in your area.It might slow the 31 down alittle.

Don't know what the problem with your single stage is but my has no vibration. Still very happy with it. My driveway has been clean all winter!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D It can stay that way and I will be happy.

I am not sure if it's that the berco is so smooth or that the single does not like the 6" pulley mod.. but she does seem to have a shake to her. If you think about the design differences it's no surprise the dual is smoother. Think on the single your spinning this big long drum (auger) at HIGH speed were single the smaller fan is high speed and auger is slow speed. Naysayers can continue to think the single is the best blower on the planet but sorry to say I have both and am not biased. The single does have is benefits (love it) but in most conditions I'll take the 2 stage any day. My biggest hate with single is the little dribble you get at slow speeds/small snows... you must keep stuffing the snow in and regulating the hydro lever to get any real throw distance. Ray it is a secret but will share with you guys. This is the A144 belt and stock 7100 hitch bolted to the honda hitch.