Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunday shop time.

B10Dave

Today I took care of a few little jobs in the shop. I moved the battery from my 2012 to the BigTen with the snow blade. Next I used one of Dan's [Rokon] ideas to strengthen the axle tube where it usually lets go on the B series. This is on my BigTen blower tractor.

I then moved on to replacing the blown out muffler on the 919H Thanks to member Peppy Dan for the NOS muffler. I cleaned and chased the threads on the heat shield mounts and used copper high heat never sieze and new fender washers to help strengthen where the mount holes are.

The next job was to replace the Atv tires with a nice set of 23x10.5x12 Goodyear tires I have had for 2 years waiting for the swap.

Then it was time for supper and a cold beer. All in all a pretty good day.dOddOd Dave.

I've meant to try the axle tube aid, but always forget. The lat one I busted, broke on the end beside the diffy though. Easy preventative maintenance!

8DChris; when the tube gets a real load strain they eventually crack and then split open. I think Dan figures by adding a compression force to the outside of the tube it will counteract the tendency to crack initially. For $3 worth of muffler clamps I'm willing to try it.dOd This axle tube has already been changed and is the reason I met Perry!! Dave.

the clamp should be on the diff side. i believe where the keyways slots are is what crack . did your other one crack near the trans side ?.

:DYou are right Perry. I wasn't thinking when I put the clamps on. Oh well' only takes 5 min to rearrange them. Dave.dOd

If I am just mowing and tilling do you advise the clamps? If I am single bottom plowing or pushing dirt with the blade I am guessing the clamps would help. Thanks.

I would have to question your reasoning in swapping those tires. I guess you were just looking for an original look. As far as the tires themselves, from experience those Dunlop tires should have quite a bit more traction than the turf tires. I have a different set of Dunlops on one of my tractors, and they are fantastic for plowing snow. They are some of the best traction tires that I have ever had on a tractor, and I have had many different types.

:D Rod, that tractor only cuts grass. It isn't used for anything else. I found that I didn't need extra traction on my mostly flat land. The ATV tires and rims came on my B112 and were put on the 919 several years ago when one original turf tire started leaking through the weather checking cracks. They are for sale now. I don't need them. Dave.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• PhanDad
    • PGL
    • littlemarv
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts