Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
JimV

landlord spark question

JimV
Hi Guys,I just made A deal with a buddy for a 1968 landlord,10 hp briggs.The only draw back is it stalled when he was driving it and has no spark.Where should I start with this one.I am a kohler guy and do very little briggs.Is this a common breadown in briggs?I was going to check the leads and keyway 1st.From there I guess coil .I don't think points would go that fast.any help would be appreciated. oh BTW I also found a case this weekend.I guess I will be busy for awhile. Jim V.

gr-made
Sounds like it is the coil to me. I just put on a magnatron ignition on my landlord over the weekend becuase my coil went bad also. Then you will bypass the points all together. I paid $38.95 for the coil. Also you should replace the flywheel key when you have it tore down, the coil I bought came with a new key.

dymondclay
In my opinion, the easiest thing to start with on this engine ( cast iron 10hp Briggs ) is the points and condenser. All the other stuff is located under the flywheel shroud which does not make it that easy to get at. I think you have to pull the motor. So I would start by looking at points and condenser as well as the wires running to them. That's easy to do because they are on side of block by carb. under cover held on with 2 screws.

JimV
The engine is already out and the points aren't sparking so I think I'm going for the coil.This is where I like the Kohler design better.The coil is outside.This will also be a good time for a clean up. thanks for the input guys. Jim V.

KenW
See the article on the link below. It is possible to do a conversion to the Kohler coil. Good luck. Ken W[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/magneto_to_coil.htm']http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/magneto_to_coil.htm[/a]