Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

landlord spark question

JimV

Hi Guys,I just made A deal with a buddy for a 1968 landlord,10 hp briggs.The only draw back is it stalled when he was driving it and has no spark.Where should I start with this one.I am a kohler guy and do very little briggs.Is this a common breadown in briggs?I was going to check the leads and keyway 1st.From there I guess coil .I don't think points would go that fast.any help would be appreciated. oh BTW I also found a case this weekend.I guess I will be busy for awhile. Jim V.

Sounds like it is the coil to me. I just put on a magnatron ignition on my landlord over the weekend becuase my coil went bad also. Then you will bypass the points all together. I paid $38.95 for the coil. Also you should replace the flywheel key when you have it tore down, the coil I bought came with a new key.

In my opinion, the easiest thing to start with on this engine ( cast iron 10hp Briggs ) is the points and condenser. All the other stuff is located under the flywheel shroud which does not make it that easy to get at. I think you have to pull the motor. So I would start by looking at points and condenser as well as the wires running to them. That's easy to do because they are on side of block by carb. under cover held on with 2 screws.

Check the spark plug if it is a chaimpion get something else.I have had a lot of problems lately with plugs put in a c and have no more problems.Bob

The engine is already out and the points aren't sparking so I think I'm going for the coil.This is where I like the Kohler design better.The coil is outside.This will also be a good time for a clean up. thanks for the input guys. Jim V.

See the article on the link below. It is possible to do a conversion to the Kohler coil. Good luck. Ken W[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/magneto_to_coil.htm']http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/magneto_to_coil.htm[/a]