Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

OEM vs ACE PAINT...FYI

GLPointon

I have a can of Simplicity paint from back in the 60s or 70s. The back label even says "this product contains lead" it must be old... Anyway I applied a dab of OEM paint next to a dab of Ace Premium Enamal "Orange" paint from rattle can, and its the best paint I've found for: match, price, availability and color continuity between batches.

The poor pic quality doesnt help but in person they are a near perfect match.. Below is a shot of all the rattle can Paints I use always.

Here's a quick example of the above paints used on some past projects

By using the same Paints on all my projects it makes touch-ups easier and every new attachment I redo will always match its tractor...I know the bodyshop guys have fancy color matching systems, but thats how I do it...sm01

keeping it simple works for me greg. local stores dont carry old cat yellow so to get a match they must order in (and I buy) 6 can lots. good to know the brands so i can keep my eyes peeled. good looking paint jobs on those tractors and implements.

Great looking results! That's some impressive rattle can work! I have a few of those on the shelf...the Old Cat is in nearly every store here, in several brands, so it would make it an easy choice simply based on availability. Curious how well it holds up for you? I've used the Allis Orange variety of that paint, and it's very easy to chip and scratch, which has disappointed me in the past. Same thing with the Valspar. The Canvas White I have found to look VERY good, and it is a much harder paint once dried. If I could find a suitable orange and yellow with it's characteristics, I'd be happy.

Enamel paints like the Ace-orange and Rustoleum-canvas white make us look like pros. Is Very Shiny but runs if over-applied. The Acrylic paints are not as durable but dont run easily. imo I think paint holds up to gas more the older/harder/more cured it gets...

I thought that the early mid and late B10s were painted different colors. Any thoughts on the paint color differences between the various years? I have an early and a '66 that may end up painted.

To be honest the B210 project is my first "old Allis Chalmers" FDT project, so its the only AC Yellow color I researched but I think the B10 and earlier were differant? someone else will pop in & correct me if not.sm01
quote:
Originally posted by Allisgrandson
I thought that the early mid and late B10s were painted different colors. Any thoughts on the paint color differences between the various years? I have an early and a '66 that may end up painted.