Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
larry8200

Points Issues Worth a Mention... IMHO

larry8200
My B210 has had a high speed "stutter" lately. The points and condensor are like new, and the skip was almost like starving for fuel except that when it starts skipping black smoke comes out the exhaust. First thought was condensor but no difference. I took the points out and could see the insulator in the points assembly was oily. A thorough cleaning and drying solved the problem. I have been finding that its often worth the extra 10 minuites whenever I service points to pull them right out and clean the block, points and cover with brake cleaner or electrical parts cleaner, and make sure the gasket is good and in place. Carb cleaner leaves residues and I dont like to use it on the points themselves. I have cleaned points in place many times and they wouldn't go till I took them out and gave them a good cleaning/degreasing/polishing. I use a piece of 220 sandpaper folded over to polish the points and its much easier than doing it in place. I'm sure this is an old topic but I think stressing the importance of keeping the entire points area clean is worth a mention. Hope its worth $0.02 :D Made me a "Bent Wrench" today. Oohh, Magnetron....

ZippoVarga
I've had similar issues but with one difference. The brass tang that the coil and condenser attach to was too close to the points frame and would arc off to the frame once in a while. A simple little twist with a screwdriver between these two points moved the brass tang far enough away from the points frame that it cured the problem of arcing. I like your modified ignition wrench!

larry8200
quote:
Originally posted by landlord2110
Hey Larry-is that a special tool you made for the points that holds the nut, or is that a tool you can buy? Go with the electronic ignition and you eliminate all points problems.
I clamped the wrench in a vice and heated it with a torch. As for electronic ignition my final word in the post above are "Oohh Magnetron..." Briggs electronic ignition system. My only complaint with points is the OEM sets are almost $30 with a new condensor these days - more than what some aftermarket electronic modules cost...... On the other hand I have seen machines that never ventured out in wet weather that had the original points still working fine after 30 years or more.

HubbardRA
Yeah, every 4 or 5 years I will have to clean the points on one of my tractors. Guess that sounds like a PIA, but in my opinion it is much easier than pulling an engine and mailing off the flywheel just to install a magnetron. I personally like the battery-coil setups. If one of my B/S engines has a coil go bad, it gets a Kohler coil and is back running in just a few minutes. No Magnetrons or points eliminators on my tractors, and they all start easy and run great. Guess it is all in what you like to work with. I like things that are easy to fix.

mike_sdak
On my kohler's, I haven't touched the points, to speak of. On my briggs (battery-coil converted), I have needed to clean and file the points several times in the past year. This got me thinking of the point-saver ignition: http://www.kirkengines.com/ (use internet explorer on this link) Anyone here intall this for the battery-coil setups? It sounds pretty popular with the cub and deere guys. My hope would be that the points would be less sensitive to deposits, etc.

timflury
$30.00 for points, and $38.00 for a Magnetron update + shipping the flywheel off to Milwaukee for repolarizing. I'm sure there's other things to do/fix/upgrade on the tractor while the engine is out of it. Who knows Larry, it might not be the only one you do??;);)