Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

725 Gear Shift Question

fpappal

My 725 that I got for free was stuck in what I think was 3rd gear (upper right). Using the screwdriver method I was able to get it back in neutral. When I looked through the oil fill hole I could see that the shift fork was not sliding on the shifter shaft. I was able to get a straight screwdriver in the hole and pound it back to the center. It shifted just fine into the other gears until I put it back into 3rd and it stuck again. I used the screwdriver to knock it back into neutral. Every time I put it in 3rd the same thing happens. The axle is leaking pretty bad from the seal and right now there is no oil in the transmission. It has probably sat this way for 8 years or so. Is the fork hangning up because of lack of oil? Or is there something more serious going on? The other three speeds seem to shift fine and slide on the shifter shaft easily. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have one out here the same way 3rd gear ever time stuck so I opened it up and need a couple of new parts but I am not in no hurry to get back up since this is a spare one so don't look like it is a hard fix now since it is all in parts now lol

Oh boy, I was hoping there would be an easier fix than that. Are transmission parts even available for a 725? Any idea what I should be looking for when I open it up? I can't think of any reason why it would not slide easily on only one side of the shaft.

In my 725 the pinion gear in the tranny was broken. It was available at partstree for 75 dollars. I tryed welding it back together but could not get a good weld on it. Im not a welder. Ended up buying a new tranny and scrapped that one. http://www.partstree.com/parts/

When you split the transmission do you recommend laying the tractor on its side? Will "things" fall out if I remove the cover while the tractor is in the upright position? Any suggestions for a rookie like myself?

You have to take the tranny off the tractor to do this. Take it apart at the bevel gear box. Then take it apart with the flat side cover of tranny up. If i'm not mistaken I think that you have to remove the axle first. Anyway when you take the cover of the tranny watch for washers and spindle bearings as you take it off. The bearings are in the cover but sometimes they fall out when you remove it. You ll be able to tell where they came from and their easy to put back in. As for the washers I think their used as spacers on some of the gear shafts. Once you have the cover off you'll have access to all the components in tranny. Look toward the top of the tranny at the gear shifter and Ill bet that the pinion gear is broken. There's a plate on the gear to pull it back and perhaps that plate has broken off. You can try welding the plate back on but i,ll bet that it has to be a pretty good weld so it won't break again. I am a rookie at this stuff too, and I had no trouble doing this. Good luck. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=10303&whichpage=3&SearchTerms=tranny+case

Thank you for the link. I have a hard time visualing what needs to be done but if I have a picture to reference I might just be able to handle it. Are new gaskets available when I put the transmission back together or will I need to make one?

Gasket should still be available. If you have the mfg. No. you can download the parts maual at the simplicity site for free. You could probably find a parts tractor pretty reasonable on craigslist and swap rearends. Sandard 3 speeds from a B 10 or Landlord will fit in it as well.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
Gasket should still be available. If you have the mfg. No. you can download the parts maual at the simplicity site for free. You could probably find a parts tractor pretty reasonable on craigslist and swap rearends. Sandard 3 speeds from a B 10 or Landlord will fit in it as well.
I'm about 2 hours away, how many used rears would you like ??:D:D Bring Allisgrandson with you, I probly got his parts too. LOL Seriously, used rears are not too hard to come by.