Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Who made this Wards tractor?

GLPointon

I saw this on CL...Did Allis/Simplicity make this model M-Wards? If so it may be worth the cost?...has a twin Briggs engine http://southbend.craigslist.org/grd/2699320905.html

Ray is right, it is made by Gilson. I had one a bit older than that one and it was a good tractor, so I wouldn't be afraid of buying it. Steve

quote:
Originally posted by timflury
Wasn't the oil pan a cast part of the frame on those??
Not sure if it was on these later model Gilsons. On the older ones that used the cast-iron Briggs singles, the oil pan was part of the front frame -- the front axle pivot was actually part of the oil pan, and couldn't be removed. They make good engine donors for our tractors -- I just put a 15HP out of a Gilson in my 3112V, simply by adding an oil pan. I even left it painted Gilson white -- since they'd painted EVERYTHING including the carb body white. Too much work (and risk) to try to strip all the paint off...

quote:
Originally posted by Kent They make good engine donors for our tractors -- I just put a 15HP out of a Gilson in my 3112V, simply by adding an oil pan. I even left it painted Gilson white -- since they'd painted EVERYTHING including the carb body white. Too much work (and risk) to try to strip all the paint off...
Got a white 15 in my B 12 too, betcha can't guess what the donor was :D:D:D

Must have just changed over to vert. shaft on that one, the one I had was horizontal Briggs, 16 hp single cylinder. Mine looked almost identical to that one, but was a cream and brown paint job. I think it was about a 1973 or 1974 vintage, but not real sure. The only bad thing I remember about it was that the tiller was driven by a shaft that ran under the tractor for the full length, and it was easy to hang it up on the shaft if you weren't careful. Having said that, all three of my tractors I have now are vert. shaft and I have no problems with them, all are real workhorses and haven't let me down yet. Guess it is a matter of preference. Steve

quote:
Originally posted by steve-wis
Having said that, all three of my tractors I have now are vert. shaft and I have no problems with them, all are real workhorses and haven't let me down yet. Guess it is a matter of preference. Steve
What I can't understand is why a new horizontal shaft engine is roughly twice the price of the same engine with a vertical shaft... even if they have to add an extra crankcase bearing or something for the front PTO, that doesn't justify doubling the price. IMO, that is the primary reason you find vertical shafts on most new machines...

I think its more likly because the majority of Tractors made today have vertical engines so the more they produce the cheaper per...(economics 101 sm01)

I think the horizontal engines that run a typical walk behind snowblower are about as cheap as a vert. shaft, so Greg might be right. I also think most tractors today are vert. shaft because the drive train is cheaper.....belt instead of driveshaft, no angle gear box, etc. Also it puts the engine pulley in position to drive attachments easier. Of course, this is just my opinion. Also, the thought that horizontal shaft engines are better or last longer I think is flawed. I have a 1967 yeoman with a 6 hp vert. engine, all original, that runs great. I think they were all better back then, and now they are all much cheaper made. Again, just an opinion. Steve