Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
olf20

Honda GX 670 Governor

olf20
We have a Honda GX 670 and it is surging from idle to full throttle. The carb has been replaced with a new one and still the same problem. Has anyone had this or solved the problem. I searched google and found lots of people complaining about it and have yet to find anyone that has solved it. We called our local Honda rep again and all they could offer is try and change the governor which means pulling engine and pulling the front cover off. Thanks for any help!! olf20 / Bob

robob
Not familar with the engine but have run into the problem on other engines,the cause usually is the engine is running lean carb supplys more fuel govenor shuts it down see saws back and forth.Try chokeing it a little to see if it runs steady if it does try enrich of the high speed needle if that doesn't help look for a vacuum leak.Try spraying carb cleaner around the intake area if it levels out you found it (carefull carb cleaner is highly flammable)

RayS
I have a GX620 which is very similar. It runs lean but does not surge. There is no adjusting the high speed needle. Honda loctites a cap over the screw at the factory. The only way to adjust is to remove that cap. They designed this screw to break if tampered with. They also design it so that you can`t get a tool in there to remove the screw if it does break. That is exactly where I am at with a carburetor that I have. I broke the cap off on accident. Luckily I had a spare. These carburetors are over $200.00 so be careful. You may be able to remove the cap with heat so that you can adjust. I wish I had another spare to try that on. Good old EPA regulations again.