Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Will I be able to find parts?

ridgerunner

This summer, I bought a snow blower, sight unseen (other than a small picture) and that I didn't hear run. I was told that it hasn't been ran in about ten years, and that it ran great, the last time before it was put away in storage. When I went to pick it up, I did check to make sure that it at least had compression. This week in preparation for winter, I checked the oil, hooked up a battery and gave it fresh fuel. It started right up and ran like a top. (sometimes I do win) :D Now that I know it runs. I had taken the engine off the snow blower, so I could give it a tune-up, oil change and also pull off all the sheet metal to clean out any debris/crud that might be in the cooling fins blocking air flow. That way I could bolt it back on the blower and it would be ready for a season of throwing snow. Of all the luck.... sometimes I don't win.....B) I managed to break the bolt-on aluminum fan that goes on the end of the crank/flywheel. Does any one know of where I cold try to locate a replacement? It's a Briggs&Stratton 18hp industrial twin cylinder.

http://www.superxpower.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=SMP#/Briggs_%26_Stratton/422437-0015-99/Electrical%2cFlywheel%2cScreens/422437001599/7634005AA reference # 321 in the pic, part # 212370 price 57.20 Its a fairly popular engine, you should be able to find one used. Maybe ebay now you have a part # :D:D

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
That must be one helluva snowblower with that kind of HP. Good luck on the parts for the Frankenblower!
Thats about what I was going to say!

Oh my 18hp was all i was thinking then as i was scrolling down i see the same thing. Lets see some pictures of this beast.I have seen 10hp but 18 wow. should shoot the snow over the house.

? Usually a blower that wide needs a 40/50 hp. tractor. Will be interesting to see how well it works with just 18hp. Maybe there is a reason it sat for ten years. Just my 2cents worth. Dave.

sweet that would be a good workout for the bigblock vanguard I have ^ Nice blower I saw a similar engine locally that a guy had in a 7117 torque is good and it's a good engine. I would imagine if you can not find a part you could adapt another fan to cool.. FYI some new stuff is all plastic fans.

I got the sheetmetal back on the engine. I built a new muffler for it, because the original one had holes in it. I then ran it for a bit to test it out. What is the proper way so shut this thing down? There's no stop/off switch, but there is a hole for a switch to go, that has "STOP" stamped by it. There is three small gage wires on the right of the motor, not conected to anything. (two solid black wires, and one black with a white stripe wire.) It runs if these are grounded or not.

On the left side there is a two-prong conector that has a red and blach wire running to it.

Any clues on the wiring? thanks...

The red & black wires are from the stator. one of the three is more than likely a kill wire and the others from points - coil? Not sure when they went to Magnetron from a magneto. That blower seems like it would give that 18hp engine a run for its money. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/Z6mquEVJ1DajI.pdf

• 1 month later...
Well, It's up and running again. I made a battery mount for it, and a fuel tank. The guy that I bought the blower from, used a portable boat fuel tank for it. He kept the tank for his boat, and I don't have one, so I improvised. I made a fuel tank out of an outdated (old style valve) 20# Propane tank. I also made a new exhaust for the engine, so it wouldn't blow the exhaust directly into the grill of my truck. The old muffler was rusted and shot, so I cut it apart, and used the baffles on the new exhaust pipe. I also made some skid shoes for it.

Here's the battery, mounted under the engine.

I think a 20# Propane tank is about 4 1/2 gallons. The gas cap and filler tube, came off a 1967 Ford pick up, with the fuel tank in the cab, behind the passenger seat. It's just too cold out to do any painting, so I just painted the bare metal spots.

The new "Stinger Exhaust" It's made from some Harley Davidson drag pipes that I had laying around.

We only have about two inches of snow, so I didn't really get to give her a work out.

WOW!!! Glad to hear she's running! That is a beast! Certainly not what I pictured when you mentioned her before. Dang, man.... :p