Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Regent Cutting Height

Kent

I used my Regent (1997) for the first time yesterday & it ran great. I was surprised however that even at the highest cutting setting, the Regent cut was a notch below the 22" Craftsman I was using. (And the Craftsman was set to next to the highest setting.) I'd like to raise the cutting height a little but it's as far as it goes. The lever to adjust the cutting height seems to working OK. It raises the rear scalping wheels on the deck but what about the front scalping wheels? There are several slots available on the front scalping wheels to set with a nut & bolt. If I use the slot closest to the ground will this raise the deck a little higher? I'm a first time tractor owner & I'm waiting to receive my manual so any info is a big help. THANKS in advance. Michael L

Since the front of the deck on your regent, like all Simplicity mower decks, hangs from the front axle, changing the setting on the front scalping wheels will not change the mower heght. They are only to keep the deck from dragging when you go over the edge of a embankment. First check the air in your tires, 12-15 psi front, 6-8 psi rear. Then check that the deck is level front to back and left to right. Measure from the blades, not the housing. Also check that the wheels at the rear of the deck are not worn out.There should be three clevises at the rear of the mower deck. The one on the left is for leveling the mower left-to-right, the other two for front-to-back. Put the mower at the highest setting and adjust the left-right first, then the front-back. Even at the highest setting, you are only going to get about 4 inches.

FiremanRon is describing an older 36" mower. MichealL has the newer 38" mower which is quite different.