Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
fpappal

Splitting 725 Trans. with PIC Retry

fpappal
Do I need to remove this shaft before I split the transmission? If so how exactly do I do that? The axle slid right out, but I can't seem to budge this orange shaft. I found a snap ring on the right side and it has been removed. The other side of the trans. did not have this, only the right side. Is it attached to the gear on the inside? I am trying to figure out why it keeps getting stuck in 3rd gear which is why I am trying to split it. I added two pictures, hope they actually attach to this post.

fpappal
From what I can see in the manual, the other snap ring is inside the case. So will this case actually split open as is? Looking at the end of the tube as it goes into the transmission I cannot find a snap ring, just a seal.

RayS
The link below is for a hydro but the differential comes off the same. You will need to remove differential from the axle tube (it just makes disassemble easier). The axle tube won`t come out without splitting the case. The axle tube has two keys on the tube inside of case that the big gear rides on and a spacer on one side of gear that goes over the axle tube and rest between the gear and the case. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=118409

Buickgsman
How hard is it to split the cases on one of these rears? I think I need to install new axle seals on the B tractors I just got. Do the cases tend to leak after being split and re-sealed or are they usually pretty leak free after? Bob

rm
i take the snap ring out with two curved picks FYI, there may be a gear in the bottom of the pan after you remove the case. it goes under the small pulley with the large teeth. I FOUND THAT OUT THE HARD WAY :)