Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7114 Blower & mid-pto

ssmewing

I have used this forum and changed my front hitch for my snow blower to a one pulley lined up with blower pulley. I also got the A144 v-belt. It is too short though. Must be my longer frame? I am looking at changing the holes where the hitch attaches to the blower. If I raise the blower pulley there would be less take-up by the one pulley on the hitch. I have moved the mid-pto pulley all the way forward by the way. Where else can I get more pulley movement to use this belt? As a side note, Napa does not make anything and all Napa branded items are made by someone else. I got from Amazon a quality belt from Goodyear for 17.97 shipped to my door. I have used and had good results with these belts for a long time.

I really think your all out of choices there! I would say to get the correct belt and you would be happy. I have the OEM belt and been running it for 6 years now

As mentioned in another post, you may want to consider installing a 6" diameter pulley on the snowblower. In the other post it was stated a 144" belt is needed. You'll get more throwing distance with the smaller pulley.

Also I have an A144 belt and it is the right size according to what it is suppossed to be. I do not have the wrong belt. It is most likely my hitch modification.

Steven, Most 7100 series tractors used the mid-PTO to drive the snow blower. When Bob states he uses the 146" belt then he is using the mid-PTO to drive the snow-blower. There is an adjustment by the mid-PTO with the idler pulley. Can you supply a link to a set of pictures so we can have a better understanding of your problem? Rick.......

You could also use a smaller diameter pulley on the idler swing arm if you think it is your hitch modification causing it. I know Burntime run that belts on his tractor as well.

I forgot to mention I ran that same belt on my 7118 when I ran a snow blower on that tractor. Your best bet would be to talk to Burntime he builts some hitches and I think has modified a tractor to use the mid-PTO instead of the front PTO. Rick........

I have built the front hitch as well. If you can post some pictures that would be great. What hitch did you use to modify from? The two pulley hitch used on the 7000 series?

I used the hitch that was on the blower when I got it and it is the same in my repair manual. The issue seemed to be that I bent the existing pulley bracket until it lined up with the blower pulley. In doing so the idler pulley was very low and it was to much deflection in the belt. After I broke the other/longer bracket trying to bend it, no torch, it now being used as an extension. Now the belt is long enough. I was then able to bend the ear of the pto idler to point everything where it needed to go. So as of now it is working and waiting for snow to see if it holds. I did have to run the bottom of the belt below the hitch by threading the hitch through the belt. It runs just below the hitch.

@Ray, I thought I had read that you needed to bend it. I noticed the other hole but assumed it would make my belt situation worse. It only needed a little tweak, easy to put back.

If I'm understanding, you bent the pulley attachment tab on the hitch to line it up with the blower pulley, correct? On the blower housing for these tractors, the blower pulley is mounted in one direction for the front PTO and it's flipped around and mounted in the other direction for the mid-PTO. I ran into this situation because I originally had a front PTO hitch that came with the blower but I didn't have the clutch. I changed to a mid PTO hitch and noticed the hitch pulley didn't line up with the blower pulley. I managed to get it free and flipped it around and it lined up great. I have a copy of the attachment catalog. The only difference in the blower housing for the mid PTO and front PTO are 1) the blower pulley is flipped around and 2) the belt keeper is different - front PTO belt keeper is right in the center, mid PTO belt keeper bends to the left because the belt is off-center with that installation.

That is correct. My pulley brackets were made so that the pulley was centered with the pin hole, so turning it around would not have changed the position of the pulley. I perhaps wrongly thought leaving the blower pulley as it was and bending the pulley bracket was easier.