Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Brettw

Hard cab updated new pics

Brettw
I just picked up a hard cab that will fit my 7118. It was on a 3410 prior to this, and I will have a little fabrication to do as it is not an exact fit for either tractor, but certainly very serviceable. Anyway, it is mostly all fiberglass and in need of a few minor repairs. I intend to take my time and fabricate and fit this as professionally as possible and will need fiberglass and resin materials. I am looking for some help on recommendations for materials and where to best obtain them, and any suggestions from those who have worked extensively with fiberglass before. Thanks in advance! Well here are a few pics. I cleaned it up a bit and am getting ready to fabricate the mounting.

Willy
Most auto stores will have your supplies. Fiberglass is easy to work with as long as you don't get in a hurry.Are you patching holes or repairing cracks?? With a crack I grove it out a little and take a scissors and cut the fabric in tiny pieces and mix with the resin and fill in the grove,it sands out easy. It don't take long to figure it out. Good luck Jim

RedbarnRick
Here's the best place I have found for fiberglass and gel coat for the boat and the how to videos are real helpful for pros or a novice. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/main.do[url][/url]

Brettw
Yes, Greg, I was fortunate to find a cab at all, much less a hard cab, much less close enough to retrieve, much less still available after more than 15 minutes on Craig's, much less for a price that didn't require my right arm and remortgage of my home. Santa was good to me. Thanks guys, this is a good start. It has been ages since I used fiberglass, so all of the help is appreciated. I will post pics as I get going, which will be real soon as the whole idea of the cab was to keep the snow off, and it isn't June anymore with months to work on it! :D

Brettw
It was on Craig's for $200. White in color, in the Hingham / Saukville area. I paid a less than that. I felt for just about any cab in good shape it was a deal, for a hard cab with glass windows, strobe and wiper, a great deal.

Blazerjeepman3
Great looking cab to start with. I am building a cab for my 3212H. Once you establish your anchor point and fab those and get mounted you could use alumu panels (.040 up to.090). to fill in those areas that need to be enclosed. Also make cut out for areas you need for vision using glass panels . Locknut has posted some pictures of my project under cab heater project.

Brettw
quote:
Ah - Ha Another candidate for an electric spout rotator.
Yup. I put some power to the wires today too. Strobe works, wiper motor works, so I need to make a switch panel in conjunction with the fab. I already figured, if I was going to do it, a third switch for the spout rotator was in order too. One less major penetration through the front shroud. I fabricated the rear anchors today, hung the doors to determine the level of the front, and now I will fab the front supporting system. Aluminum panels does sound like the way to go. I have a good friend that has a complete fab shop. He stopped by and said "bring it over and we can put this together in half the time, and it will turn out great." I like his way of thinking!dOd I am not looking to make a air tight heated environment like a Cozy cab, but just something to keep the vast majority of the wind and snow off. And the saga continues..........

GregB
I would not seal it up to tight. Need to let the moist air out or the windows will fog. The rear panel of my cab has some screening in the lower section on each side. Of course you could go the other route, heater/defroster, heated coffe mug holder, blowing snow in your shirt sleeves :D

GLPointon
Very nice!dOd When your wiring switches for strobe, spout rotator, etc you may want one for a window fan too. as mentioned above they WILL fog from your breath with out moving air.

JohnMBerst
I agree on the fan, as used a 4" fan on the front window of my soft cab last year. Helped keep the front view clear, even if the side windows frosted / steamed up. Almost looking for another if needed this year. Also some inside lights, to aid seeing things. Just cause I could.... And a spout rotator for BLT next year.......:)

GregB
Of course with all the planned electrics, you may need to add an aux. generator :O Add up all the proposed loads and figure out what amp charging system you have. Make sure it can keep up with the demand, or one cold morning when you really need to clear the drive, you'll be trying to jump or swap a battery. My two cents

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by JohnMBerst
And a spout rotator for BLT next year.......:)
John I have mine ready to go, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW7Fh8dE7dk , but like a bunch of us, it's all talk and nothing to do. NO SNOW!!, just black ice this morning 8C Brett, pretty soon you will need a 30 amp alternator stator to light up your cockpit.;)

Brettw
I've got this all figured out. Kill two birds with one stone. I'm going to get one of the Simplicity 5000 watt AC chargers and hang it off the back. Extra weight and now I can add a power reclining seat too. I'll have more juice than the power company. Now I'll just need a bigger engine, maybe Kevin's 31 hp...........