Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7117 Charging

TyeeII

My 7117 has quit charging. I do not even know what the system consists of or what the likely cause may be. It has a Kohler KT 17 engine. Is there any testing that I can get started with the diagnosis ? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

On an Onan I had there was a recifier that mounts externally. Wire in and out is hot and the mounting ears are ground. I was told if the mounting ears lose ground it gets fried and they sometimes just go bad. Clean the mounting area for good ground. This all assumes that there is a rectifier on your motor.

When all else fails, buy a $20 trickle charger. When it looked like my charging problem would require pulling the engine and flywheel to fix properly, I just spent the $20.

Your KT-17 should have the 15amp charging system. It has a voltage rectifier/regulator which is usually the problem. It's located in the tin blower housing so it is in the air flow to keep it cool. It has 3 wires, two from under the tin from the stator and the other wire is the "charging" wire. First check the stator wires for AC current. When the tractor is running do not let them touch together or touch ground. With the tractor at full throttle (3600rpm) you should measure about 30 or so volts AC (you need an AC volt meter for the measurement). If the AC voltage is OK, then the voltage rectifier/regulator is bad. As mentioned above dirty or loose contacts can also cause loss of charging. You could also check the DC voltage (to ground) right at the rectifier/regulator connection. If it's 13.8 volts or so, then the "charging" wire is no longer connected to the battery, look for a loose or broken wire or loose connection.

I would start with the very basics. Make sure all connections are clean, tight and intact, under the dash. Pull the battery and check it out. It may be something as simple as a loose wire at the amp meter, connection block, etc. Just a thought.

Hi, If the battery is completely discharged (below 7 volts) the regulator rectifier will not turn on. If 12 volts is not getting to the regulator center terminal, it will not charge. If it is getting more than 7 to 8 volts it should turn on and charge if the stator (AC) output is OK. If the stator out is good and the battery voltage over 8 volts is at the center terminal you should see 13 to 14.5 volts to the the battery from the center terminal to the battery. If not change the regulator rectifier unit. Merry Christmas. Al Eden