Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC912 question

Mann

I have an AC912 with a 16 hp Cast iron Briggs with an automotive type Starter/Altenator. Bought it from SmilinSam Ericson. Awesome tractor and I love it, but I have one small problem. I've had it for a few weeks now and until this weekend it's been flawless, but now I have a battery problem. The battery in it is a little small for the motor but it's always managed to start it althiought it cranked kind of slow. Now it finally will not turn ot over at all. It tries but when it gets to the compression stroke it can't turn any farther. So, is the starter the only possible problem? Is it like a car that I can check the starter by starting it and then disconnecting the battery and see if it keeps running? Maybe a short somewhere? Where do I begin? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Brian

Its a Starter Generator setup. I provided an extra generator which tested out as being good. I'm assuming regulator problems since the battery is not staying charged, and the battery, though small, was a newer battery. It is the square regulator with 3 tabs to the front and one out the bottom like on the older Broadmoors. I know nothing about checking the regulators, so I would appreciate it if someone could help out here. Thanks, Sam

Check your battery voltage before you start the mower, then again after it has been started with a boost. The voltage should be higher with the unit running. That would indicate that the generator is supplying voltage, and the voltage setting of your regulator. If not try a higher RPM and check the voltage again.