Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydrostat questions needed???

GLPointon

Hey guys I am going to buy my 1st Hydrostat Drive since '83 and would like to know things to look for.(look,listen,feel,etc.) Its a Simplicity 7116H with hydraulic lift too. I think I can get it started to try it out with a jump and a new plug. Dont know what to look for other than leaks or inoperative...any suggestions??? Thank you

If this is the one it sure is clean. The hydraulic lift parts are worth that. The Sunstrand is pretty much bullet proof. Even if you had to repower it is a good deal.

The only leaks I have run into on these is pump shaft seals, pump control shaft seals , or the brake shaft seal. All replaceable from the outside. Theres a pipe elbow on the PTO side of the tranny with a little lift up air vent valve. Its spring loaded. To check the oil, fill or drain you have to lift that up a little while you are doing those operations. The fill/check tube is in the back . An angled pipe sticking up with a cap on the end. When the tranny is full you should see the oil level in the pipe near the threads. Adjusting for neutral has two adjustments. A coarse and fine. Coarse is at the control rod to the cup, a slot. Fine is on the PTO end of the control cup cross shaft. A locking nut and a adjustment nut. Not much room for a wrench so be careful and dont round the ends of the locking nut. You have to do the adjusting with the tractor safely blocked up and you standing clear of the tires with tractor running. PTO clutch should be adjusted with a little over 1/8" of movement of the cone in and out of the cap. Check the lining in the cap if the cone wont grab it when adjusted. PTO pulley with deck or blower on should be positioned in its slot so that the back edge of the idler bracket is in the green on the red/green pto adjustmnet decal when belt is under tension.. Other than that its all about the same as a foot dragger.

Ray your right again, thats the one...and thats just what I wanted to hear. Thank you! Good to know its worth the $ either way (as you all know they never look as good in person) Sam, Thank you very much for such detailed info! That will help me check it out before and service it after I get it home. I'm going to check it out and pick it up tomarrow. I hope its ok because its a 5 hr round trip |) I'll post Pics after...

quote:
Originally posted by MikeES
The thing that you to keep in mind with hydros is that you will neglect to drive your other tractors.
Couldn't agree more. I'm currently running 3 Vickers and 3 Sundstrands and they are all at the top of my favorites list!

Thanks Larry...which type is best/least troubles?
quote:
Originally posted by larry8200
quote:
Originally posted by MikeES
The thing that you to keep in mind with hydros is that you will neglect to drive your other tractors.
Couldn't agree more. I'm currently running 3 Vickers and 3 Sundstrands and they are all at the top of my favorites list!

Greg, I have had both and found the Vickers was smoother and faster. That said, my Vickers did have trouble backing up hill. So I tried it in for a 7118 which has a Sunstrand and a hydraulic lift (the Vickers had a manual lift). So I think the trade off was worth it. Rick.......

least troubles would definitely be the sundstrand. At least you can change the seals when they start to leak. Never understood why vickers never machined the cases to accept seals. If you can find a vickers that does not leak they definitely seem alot smoother.

The thing I really love about the Vickers is you can precisely control the tractor while WALKING ALONGSIDE IT! Where is Osha?? I have 4 Vickers, only one is unbushed and I have no idea what the story is, except my 3416H was bushed from day 1 and only leaks a little. Like rustproofing! and my 3212h is bushed and doesn't leak, and my 3314H is unbushed and doesn't leak The other thing is the Vickers is cool.... :D

Greg, definitely recommend draining and refilling the bevel gear box fluid as soon as you get it home. Never know how well a previous owner may have taken care of it.

Thanks guys for all the advice...I went ahead & got the tractor...a 7116H with hydraulic lift. The new thread is @ show&tell, title below: CraigsList 7116H...always look worse than the pics