Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

FDT front axle mounts

perry

this was discussed years ago, but I dont remember the answers and didnt find anything with a quick search. some have mounted the front counter weight there so it doesn't work with the lift as a counter weight, but only as a front weight.

I have used those holes for mounting brackets that I do not want to pivot. All of the times I have used them have been on hitches that I have fabricated, like mounting a Cub Cadet Johnny bucket on a 3410 or modifying a Wheel Horse blade to work on my Simplicities, or the Sears snowblower on my AC716H. I do not know of a standard Simplicity hitch that uses the front holes.

I have a ez-rake front thatcher that was made for another brand of tractor because it's red in color and I mounted it to those front mounting tabs so that I could use the mower deck in it's usual position and then I put the vacuum collector on the back so I could thatch, mow and suck it all up and blow it into the covered cart I was pulling behind it.

quote:
Originally posted by swisstool
I have a ez-rake front thatcher that was made for another brand of tractor because it's red in color and I mounted it to those front mounting tabs so that I could use the mower deck in it's usual position and then I put the vacuum collector on the back so I could thatch, mow and suck it all up and blow it into the covered cart I was pulling behind it.
Some of the EZ Rakes were red. http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1969/front_thatcher.htm

Thanks Ray, I've never seen one except for the one I bought. The hitch on it didn't line up with the mounts on my B212 so I had to make a little adapter for it. Do you or anyone else on the site have pictures of the hitch on one that was made for the Simplicity/Allis tractors?

quote:
Thanks Ray, I've never seen one except for the one I bought. The hitch on it didn't line up with the mounts on my B212 so I had to make a little adapter for it. Do you or anyone else on the site have pictures of the hitch on one that was made for the Simplicity/Allis tractors?
Here's a B series hitch...
[img]http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff512/talntedmrgreen/IMAG0905.jpg[/img]
Here's one I found locally with a Deere 3/400 series hitch...
[img]http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff512/talntedmrgreen/IMAG0812.jpg[/img]
Here's another in red I have that was modified to run off the rear like a Revitalizer or tiller...
[img]http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff512/talntedmrgreen/IMAG0627.jpg[/img]

I'll take some pics of mine tomorrow. It doesn't look like any of the ones in your pics, Josh. The first pic of yours for the b series looks like it mounts where the mower deck mounts. Is that correct? I rigged mine to mount on the front mounts so that I could still use the deck to vacuum up the thatch that the ezrake loosened. I seem to remember a pic on this site of someone using a 7100 series sovereign with the ez rake on the front and using their mower deck also.

You can mount two attachments to the same hitch points by offsetting one to the left or right. I do this often when using my front counterweight to aid in lifting the two piece cultivator. That attachment mounts where a mowerdeck, sicklebar or grader blade would. The EZ Rake hitch is built similarly to a blower or Weedcutter hitch, but the rake does not lift by the OEM setup.

You can mount two attachments to the same hitch points by offsetting one to the left or right. I do this often when using my front counterweight to aid in lifting the two piece cultivator. That attachment mounts where a mowerdeck, sicklebar or grader blade would. The EZ Rake hitch is built similarly to a blower or Weedcutter hitch, but the rake does not lift by the OEM setup.

This is mine on a 7016 using the front PTO on the engine.
[img]/club2/attach/wilm169/7016ez.jpg[/img]
I had to widen the hitch out 3/4" to mount with the deck. What I used was the 2 pully hitch for snow blower.

One model of plow could use them(though I don't know if it was an adaptation from another Allis series). My Dad's 2210 came from the Allis dealer with a 46" spring-trip that had forks to go on the single points. It just needed really long pins. Knowing my Great-grandfather(the original purchaser) he got a deal on something sitting in the corner when he bought it in 1971.

quote:
How do you lift it the ezrake thatcher then?
As far as I know, the B-series adaptation did not lift, but rolled on the casters all the time. The PO I bought mine from was a retired dealer who had this B-series unit since new. He knew of no factory method for lifting it, but it looks like it would be very easy to fab a cable as Levi did to lift with the tractors lift system. The Deere version shown has a hydraulic lift piston that has quick attach to the tractors hydro outlets. Basically, it mounted to the unit, and to the hitch. The lifting action doesn't involve contact with the tractor at all. I was going to bid on it, but it suprised me, and the Deere boys went to around $400 on it, which is kinda unheard of for something vintage like this at this particular auction.

quote:
How do you lift it the ezrake thatcher then?
As far as I know, the B-series adaptation did not lift, but rolled on the casters all the time. The PO I bought mine from was a retired dealer who had this B-series unit since new. He knew of no factory method for lifting it, but it looks like it would be very easy to fab a cable as Levi did to lift with the tractors lift system. The Deere version shown has a hydraulic lift piston that has quick attach to the tractors hydro outlets. Basically, it mounted to the unit, and to the hitch. The lifting action doesn't involve contact with the tractor at all. I was going to bid on it, but it suprised me, and the Deere boys went to around $400 on it, which is kinda unheard of for something vintage like this at this particular auction.

If you look at the different pictures that Josh posted of the off white ezrakes, you can see that the hitch mounted to an angle iron bracket on the vertical edge of the housing. In the picture that wilm169 posted, as well as the one that I have, the hitch mounts to pieces of angle iron on the top side of the housing. Does anyone know which one is the earlier model and which the later? And it appears that the pulley and belt guard on the red one I have and in the picture from Ray is bigger diameter than the pulleys on the ones pictured by Josh. Any clues why?