Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
fpappal

Are these Transmission Gears bad? PICS

fpappal
So I took all the gears out of my 725 transmission trying to figure out why it keeps getting stuck in 3rd gear. I can't see any obvious problems other than possibly some worn gears? In the first pic the 2 gears are were on what the manual calls the "second intermediate shaft" and the gears on the right came from the "third intermediate shaft". In the first pic, the gear on the bottom left is wore at almost a 45 degree angel. Should those be square? or were they intended to have this angel? In the first picture gear on top right, should the teeth be sharp like this? or should they be square? The second picture is what they call the "input shaft". The teeth on the bottom gear are also angled. Is this from wear or normal? Would wore gears cause it to get stuck in third? I can't see any other possible explanation. If these gears are indeed wore where can I get new ones?

bud119195
in the transmissions that I have tore apart that would get stuck in gear I found out that the gears were wore at a angle. Compared them to gears from a good trans and they were straight and not angled.So my guess would be that it's time to look for some gears

BLT
Also download 990232, go to transmission part of book and look at items R & S . That is the detent ball and spring that keeps you forks from locking. If the shaft is worn or the tension is gone from springs, locking up in gears is also possible.

fpappal
For the gears that are wore down at an angle, can I simply flip them over? The bottom of the gear looks great. Should the teeth on the gear on top have a "knife-like" edge or should they be flat?

Al
Hi, Look at the keys the gears slide on, are they worn? Are they hour glass shaped from rocking in the key way? Is the key way in the gear square? Any binding in this area can cause the gear to not want to slide. Merry Christmas to All (Happy Holidays to those that prefer that.) Al Eden

henroan
I found a picture of the gears I am talking about. Thanks to Vassel

Heres the thread that I got it from http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=12052&SearchTerms=shift Hope this helps.

fpappal
Thanks for the picture. I was convinced my gears were wore, but from that picture I see the pinion gears are suppose to be angeled. I will check the key and key way to see how square they are.

fpappal
I went to the local simplicity dealer yesterday and asked him if he thought my 3rd pinion gear was wore. He told me not to waste any money on gears and all I had to do to keep it from getting stuck in third gear was to 1) unscrew the shift shift stem a bit so it fits in the shifting fork better or 2) place a washer above the shift fork on the shift shaft so the fork cannot go all the way to the end of the shaft. He said it doesn't need much, just a thin washer. He told me he saw a lot of them over the years getting stuck in gear and that was all he did to fix the problem. On mine, the shift rod was always in the shift fork it was the shift fork that was getting hung up on the shaft. I am going to try the washer trick and see how it goes.