Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

vac vibation

sun41bird

hi everybody i recently put the vac on my deutz 917 and for some reason there is a lot of vibration so much so that it almost ripped apart the shroud that covers the pulleys on the right side looking at the tractor from behind the lower pulley that goes thru to the pto pulley has about 1/8''of play in and out is this too much?Also the belt that goes to the vac is rubbing agianst the hydro pump and the short hydo filter is there a way to move the vac to the left to clear them its probebly the cause of some of the vibation is it possible i bent the hitch somehow i didnt see anything obvious but i was wondering if i jacknifed the trailer hard enough to bend something .thanx alot

Tom, I have a PTO vac on my Sovereign, and there is NO vibration. There is some side play in my cross shaft, but not quite 1/8”. Isolate the source of the vibration by removing the RH belt and engaging the PTO. If there is still vibration the problem may be the bearings in the cross shaft. If there is no vibration, reinstall the RH belt. If the vibration returns, the problem may be the impeller bearings or the impeller may be unbalanced. I run my vac at higher RPM than designed, therefore I checked impeller balance up to 12,000 RPM. The impeller balance was fine as from the factory. However, I did add a bronze thrust washer between the impeller and housing to eliminate the possibility of contact. The belt should NOT rub on the hydro pump or filter, it shouldn’t even be close to rubbing (see photos). Are you using the correct belt..? Are you using the outer PTO sheave..? Is the belt routed properly..? Is the vac unit mounted properly..? If all the answers are YES, the vac mounting brackets may be bent. Post some pictures from different angles. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/seq2.jpg

wow dutch thanx for going thru all the trouble to help me. The pictures helped so much i had the idler pulley all wrongon the pto side i must have really thouht i knew what i was doing that day! I put a thrust bearing on the cross shaft it seemed to really help next a new set of springs and some new belts and ill be ready for the leaves this fall ,thanx so much again tom

Tom, If you need ducts (hoses) check the ihozs link below. I got all the hose pictured, plus another from the deck to the vac for under $200. The roving nozzle is great..![A href='http://www.ihozs.com/'][img src='http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/fifi-seq.jpg'][/a]