Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

cckb governor spring

HerbP

So JimS shipped me a good used ring gear and I got it installed no problem (hooray for the propane bbq) and today I put everything back together... Somehow or another, the governor spring has gone missing. I suspect one of the squirrels wintering in the attic of my shop has absconded with it; because it certainly isn't anywhere near my work area... Now I have a tractor that runs great, at idle. I assume the governor spring is pretty well calibrated to the engine but I have no idea what tension it was... I have a small handful of springs in my parts bins but I'm not sure whether to even bother... Is this something I just shouldn't mess around with and try to find a replacement or can I just find a similar length carburator return spring and make it work?

Thanks. So I was up there with my little box of miscellaneous springs yesterday... Oddly, I have one that looks identical to that but it was the wrong tension... It was a different (and shorter) spring that seemed to do better but all I was able to get it to do was hunt up and down... It seems that I just really need the correct part, no two ways about it. I also spent about 2 hours scouring the dirt/gravel in the shop for the spring... I also pleaded with the squirrels to return it if they knew what was good for them... My fear at this point is that it's lying between the engine and the pan... Frustrating.

• 3 weeks later...
sigh. cross-border shopping woes again... My local small engine place finally reports back that this part is on back order with their supplier for at least 2 more weeks... It took them two weeks to find this out... Mr. Ebay up there only ships into the US. onanparts.com happily ships to canada via USPS at a cost of $23.75 (just for shipping!)... jackssmallengines is $25.99 for 'international shipping'... I'm quickly approaching having my spring right around the time the tulips come up.

• 1 month later...
Well, JimS stepped up and sent me a spring which arrived this week... The generosity and fellowship in this club is awesome... It never ceases to amaze me... Anyway, I installed the spring today and for the first time ever, was able to run the snowthrower... It's largely awesome but wasn't really throwing snow all that far... like maybe 5-10 feet.... But anyway, that's a different thread. I thought I would close this one off by thanking JimS for going out of his way to get me that spring.