Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Bruker

Electric Clutch Repair?

Bruker
My father in law has a late model 20hp Prestige and the electric clutch is making a squealing sound when it is not engaged. I haven't inspected it yet but I'm assuming a bearing is going bad. Are these things repairable or will I need to replace the whole clutch? Thanks!

RedbarnRick
I had one that squeled, I took it off and seperated it enough to get to the sealed bearing and with a needle tip in a small grease gun was able to slip the needle into the edge of the seal and squirt grease into it, I did this at different locations around the bearing always feeling the needle going between the ball bearings, I do this with all my idler pulleys as well, they are all still going.

Al
Hi, Today I am in Oregon and forgot who I am and my password. Finally remembered. I have replaced these bearings, but rarely do. I wrote a fairly long expanation about these clutches destroying engines and why this happens. These bearings are staked in and you have to press the bearing out, shearing off the stakes. I hope someone can bring up that post. If not, I will try to expound later. Al Eden

Bruker
quote:
Originally posted by RedbarnRick
I had one that squeled, I took it off and seperated it enough to get to the sealed bearing and with a needle tip in a small grease gun was able to slip the needle into the edge of the seal and squirt grease into it, I did this at different locations around the bearing always feeling the needle going between the ball bearings, I do this with all my idler pulleys as well, they are all still going.
Thanks for the tip. I'll probably tear into it tonight and see if I can get the grease needle in there.

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by Al
Hi, Today I am in Oregon and forgot who I am and my password. Finally remembered. I have replaced these bearings, but rarely do. I wrote a fairly long expanation about these clutches destroying engines and why this happens. These bearings are staked in and you have to press the bearing out, shearing off the stakes. I hope someone can bring up that post. If not, I will try to expound later. Al Eden
I think this is the thread.:D http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=119549&SearchTerms=Electric,clutc