Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Buickgsman

Governor/throttle help - is this normal

Buickgsman
I am working on getting my newly acquired Big Ten running and I just rebuilt the carb and when I was bolting the carb back on, I noticed that the arm coming off the motor that controls the throttle doesnt move. Should I be able to move that arm, which i believe is part of the governor assembly, while the engine is off? Basically, i can move the lever on the dash, but nothing happens down at the carb because that arm isnt moving. I have other issues i have to try to work through like the key switch is stuck in the on position(which is better than off) and also there is no spark and low compression. I'm hoping I can get this thing started so I can play around with it. I would hate to have to jump into a full blown resto on it:D I just want a tractor to play around with for a while. Any thoughts on that governor arm are appreciated. Thanks Bob

D-17_Dave
The arm should move freely. Will it move with the carb off? there may be some binding linkage. If it is stuck you might try some penetrating oil and a light tension with some pliers and see if it frees up. The bushing is lubricated by the engine oil as the govn. is internal. I rarely see any problem with this shaft seizing. But it's worth a try if the tractor has been sitting for awhile.

robob
The governer arm won,t move untill the engine is running,i would try to correct the ignition switch first it may be why you have no spark ether try to free it up with solvents or replace it.once you have spark you can worry about compression later.

HubbardRA
I adjusted the governor on one engine and I guess I must have pulled outward on the shaft and pushed inward on the arm when I was re-tightening it. The arm would not move at all. I had to partially loosen the bolt on the arm and then take a screwdriver and pry the arm outward slightly on the shaft. After that it moved freely and worked great. I apparently had pushed the arm against the block so tightly that it would not move. It needs a little clearance, but not much.

D-17_Dave
If memory serves there should be a hair clip pin through the shaft as soon as it exits the block. This is to locate the shaft end play and not allow the crank arm not to come into contact with the block since it is not a smooth edge.

BLT
I thought that "Jesus" clip was installed to keep the arm located on the weight spool and more so for dopes like me that would push the shaft inside the block if that clip was never used.sm00sm00