Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
midnightpumpkin

Looking for advise on a hydraulic cylinder

midnightpumpkin
I have been looking for a suitable hydraulic cylinder to implement a power angle feature on the front blade of a Powermax tractor. I had hoped to use one or two lift cylinders from a Sunstar, but have found I need at least an 8 inch stroke. I am looking at this cylinder from Surplus Center, but am concerned with the 3/4" diameter rod. I would use one of these cylinders to control the blade angle.

Any advice would be appreciated. A similar cylinder with a 1" diameter rod is available, but the price is $40 more. I don't want to try to save money if the 3/4" rod won't take the abuse of holding the blade angle. Thanks in advance for any and all responses. John U

msiebern
quote:
Originally posted by midnightpumpkin
I have been looking for a suitable hydraulic cylinder to implement a power angle feature on the front blade of a Powermax tractor. I had hoped to use one or two lift cylinders from a Sunstar, but have found I need at least an 8 inch stroke. I am looking at this cylinder from Surplus Center, but am concerned with the 3/4" diameter rod. I would use one of these cylinders to control the blade angle. Any advice would be appreciated. A similar cylinder with a 1" diameter rod is available, but the price is $40 more. I don't want to try to save money if the 3/4" rod won't take the abuse of holding the blade angle. Thanks in advance for any and all responses. John U
Happy New Year John! I don't know as I can give you a definitive answer, but I think it would hold the angle ok, it is the hidden impacts or shock loads that might worry me about it. Any chance of locating the cylinder closer to the pivot point thus reducing the amount of stroke needed?

midnightpumpkin
Mike, It is the shock load that concerns me also. The hitch for the front blade is made of 3/8 flat stock. This one had an "S" kink in it, from ramming the blade into snow piles. Ideally the blade angle cylinder would have a cushion valve to prevent these kinds of shock loads, but that is not in my budget for this project. The Powermax is a 1400 pound tractor, so slamming into a snow bank at 10MPH translates into some serious force. John U

D-17_Dave
Rod diam. is irrelevant at this point. Simply looking at the design of the rest of the hitch gives you the sizes of metal used and the applied load to reflect on. Problem you'll have is the 600 or so psi that the hydraulics have against the diam. size of the piston in the cyl. The applied load from the tip of the blade pushing against the hydraulic pressure. Also look at the diam. of the lift cyl. and how much pressure it holds. Also the closer to the pivot point you get the less mech. advantage the cyl. will have so the larger the cyl. will need to be.