Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-210 gas tank

jlasater

My gas tank needs to be replaced on my B-210. Does anyone know of any other tanks ( manufacturer and part no ) that will fit to replace it with the filler lining up with the hole in the hood ? Are there any plastic ones that would work ? Are the tanks repairable ? Mine has one hole but the rest doesn't appear to be that bad ? I know the stock ones are expensive and am hoping to spend my money in other areas if I can do it safely. Thanks, Al

Al, There has been a fair amount of discussion about fixing leaking tanks. I can't tell you just where to look - -but try a search of 'gas tank' (or something like that). As I recall there are some good products on the market. Good luck, John(ri)

Al, Don’t know about another tank, but if you want to try and save your metal tank, this is what I do. Gently “tap” all over the tank with an awl (ice pick) to locate the rotted areas. If those areas are small, solder a penny over the hole(s). If the area is large, solder an appropriate size copper patch. A penny can be soldered over the hole with an electric soldering iron. First clean and sand the area and “tin” with solder and flux. Do the same with the penny. After both are “tinned”, solder the penny over the hole. Naturally, be careful of the gasoline fumes. Play it safe and wash out the tank with water before you begin.

Herb, Can you really solder anything on a steel gas tank.When I think of solder I think only of copper ,brass, etc... As for repairing tanks, I use JB Weld.No chance of fire.It is located in good parts stores.Good Luck, John

John, Yup, steel can be soldered. In the old (pre Bondo) days sheet metal repairs were done with lead. "Tinning" and preparation are the keys to success. I have used JB Weld, but I'm usually too impatient. You can use a tank immediately after soldering. As for working on or around tanks, BE CAREFUL at all times. Even without an open flame or spark, static electricity can cause an explosion.

Even after washing a gas tank out it can be explosive. Been there & done that. The flames shot out both the filler neck and the line connection when it happened to me. I recommend dry ice (CO2) in the tank, a nitrogen purge, or have a radiator shop clean it out first. My 2 cents worth. Roy

been told by pro welders that the metal in fuel tanks aborbs fuel over time and that why they can blow even after washing real good. Can't claim a been there done that nor can I claim to want to..MPH

Place the filler of the can over the exhaust on a small engine or tractor for about 10 minutes after a thorough rinse. The heat will dry it out and the CO will displace the oxygen so you can heat it safely. A good sealer after the soldering will keep the tank from re rusting from the inside out.

Depending on the size of the holes in the tank, there is a gas tank repair kit called Kreem that is used to prep new gas tanks for motorcycles and also to repair rusty and leaking tanks. You can buy this through DennisKirk.com and also probably through some of your local motorcycle shops. This might be a safer method. It comes with an etching chemical and a cleaning chemical. I have not used it myself but some buddies that restore bikes and also build custom bikes recommend its use. good luck, Clayton