Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Advice on a purchase

TomMaryland

Hello all, I havent posted on here in years! But Im back with a question: I have a 16hp Broadmoor '91, that runs ok, smokes a little, and drains the battery every week or so (cant find out why). Well, I saw a 2008 Regent 24hp briggs, 50", 104 hrs on ebay for 1850. I know these are entry level tractors, but any opinions on selling mine and buying this one?

Charge up the battery then disconnect the leads, wait a week or so, then reconnect & try it...if still drained/dead then the battery has an internal leak(sm.short) very common in tractors batts. that get alot of vibrations...if prob.is not the battery then I would start looking for a "key-off-drain" at the Key switch first then maybe the solenoid.sm01 The 2008 w/24hp and 50" cut sounds great but I'm strickly "old school" and know nothing about the newer tractors...Good luck

Charge your Battery up ,then take the ground wire loose and with everything turned off touch the ground to the neg post and see if you get a spark. if it sparks you have a short some where,if there is no spark there a good chance you need a battery. If you don't need the tractor for a few days leave the cable off and check it later.

if u r strictly mowing lawn and gently blowing snow then the regent series will work for u just fine..however, i have seen those tractors that age come and go with low hours for around 1000 to 1200...i would keep ur broadmoor if it is in ok shape and just use it till it dies..for 1850 u can step into one heck of a sovereign with a blower and or tiller or blade and a 48inch deck if u keep an eye out and it will last u a lot longer than the cheaper regents for sure...hope this helps:D

Are you sure your battery is being charged when the tractor is in use. Measure the voltage on the battery with everything turned off (should be above 12 volts)then start your tractor half speed or greater, would expect your voltage above 13 volts. This should mean you are charging the battery when running. Thats good. Then follow the other guys procedures. A small electrical drain sometimes is very difficult to find.

I believe the new regents have a light duty K46 transmission and I would avoid one myself. If you have any slopes or hills it will likely not provide good long term service.

quote:
Originally posted by sbull78
for 1850 u can step into one heck of a sovereign with a blower and or tiller or blade and a 48inch deck if u keep an eye out and it will last u a lot longer than the cheaper regents for sure...hope this helps:D
could not say it any better than this

Thanks on the elec issue. Ive been through several new batteries and have seen it over them. I'll do the checks to see whats going on and go from there. Also thanks on the newer Regent tranny...I was wondering about that! I have a large walk behind 2stage blower that does a great job, so I don't plow anymore. I just mow with the Broadmoor. I also have a 68 Landlord (shed queen) that I restored fully, except the deck, that i was thinking about selling too. One thing I don;t want is a tranny or something else going after a few years that could be an ongoing problem, as my youngest tractor is 20 yrs old! Thanks again!

I do not think that you would damage the transmission with just lawn mowing, probably do not shift,start,stop very much, I know I don't If you did it commercially maybe

Hmmm.....I see a 2004 20 hp 42" deck 255 hrs Conquest that is in nice shape. The guy wants $2200 for that one....thoughts on that? (It's on ebay an he'll sell it w/o the blade. Hmmmmmm ;)

Well, dangit, now I was out driving today and I spotted a 2005 zero turn Champion series #1694454, 18hp kohler and 44" deck. A dealer, serviced, bought and traded in there with all the records. very clean and runs well. He wanted $2,200 but I bet I could get him lower with cash...thoughts on these types?

it sounds like u r looking for something mainly for mowing...a conquest is a decent machine but i have seen them for less with bigger decks, but thats close to me...i would keep an eye out for a landlord dlx..u can get a 54inch heavy duty deck or a 50inch and a 20 horse vanguard or 23horse kohler with locking diff, foot pedal hydro and power assist steering with lower hours...a very nice running and mowing machine..i still like the sovereign better for its many options but for mowing the dlx is very nice...the non power assist ones can be had for a lot cheaper...but the sovereigns are so easy to work on!!!!lol!

Yes on the mowing. I dont need one for plawing anymore. I dont get to see many simplicity's at all in this area (except new) so it's not quite as easy here, in Northeastern Md.

Not familiar with the kohler engine in the champion.The champion 20hp briggs 50" mower in itself is an awesome mowing machine.It will mow circles around any tractor that you have.

Thanks bigpaw. The 18hp kohler is a single cylinder. It sounded really tight, and was quieter than my 16hp vanguard (hate that engine). Anyhow, I just heard of two more zero turns about 40 min up the road, and what looks like a conquest nearby too. I'm kind of leaning towards one of the zero turns... I've sat in a few, including my brother's hustler...and these Simplicity's were very comfortable to use!! It does look like ramp up the front end to get blades off and clean tho, no more 5 second deck removal like the tractors!!

Oh, one other question.... On the Zeroes...how do I spot the aluminum spindles vs the cast spindles? Cast has zerk fittings? a part# (if so, what?) in the schematic? Thanks for all the info gents!!!

The larger Simplicity Zero turns are the similar to the Ferris models. My parents have a Ferris IS2000 with the 61" deck. We had to get a 61" deck in order to get cast "hercules" spindles, as the 52" decks only had aluminum available. Most of the smaller Simplicity models had a Simplicity tractor-type deck (44" or 50") and they would use the same splinldes as your broadmoor. Kind of regretting the larger deck as it scalps worse and the cast spindles have a hollow cavity that collects dirt and grass. The aluminum splidles are easier to clean off. One other thing is the Simplicity/Ferris units are a little bit harder to service as there is not a removable deck access panel. Almost every other manufacturer has that.

You might also want to make sure that "big single" is a Command, not a Courage. The courage engine has a poor reputation.

It is a Command, I just saw the tractor today. It's very clean, serviced, and nary a scratch on it. I'll post some pictures over in the show and tell, so I don't clog up this thread. I just might get it if he'll come down a few hundred (or not!). 103 hrs on it, Champion 18 hp Kohler command single, 44" deck. #'s: 00578, 1694454

Hi Guys , Just signed up to get back on here from long ago. Help me out please. I have an old customer with a pair early 80's of 7114;s with 42" decks. If they are garage kept like they used to be they will be clean and shiny. What are these goin for now ? I am in northern Illinois. I have not found any values on internet. Thanks Ken

Hi 1Litre, you might want to try strating your own threead up top there, as you rpost is down inside mine about another subject. Folks might not see it!