Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A/C Big Ten

ken728

Finally picked up a large frame tractor off of Craigslist a couple of weeks ago! Hasn't run in roughly 8 years according to the PO who recently decided to get it out of his garage after parking it there so many years ago. It's all there, and in pretty good shape. I'll be looking for a tiller! My 728 Broadmoor has served me well for years, and is now reliable as anything around since I rebuilt the engine with a .030" overbore and new valves. My plan is to massage this Big Ten into similar condition, but after I get it mechanically sound I'll probably be tempted to tear it down and give it a proper re-paint. Here's a pic as received:

I spent an hour or two correcting the rear fenders: what would make someone squash the fenders down like that? I'll be looking to restore the seat but I'll need to find the arm rests . . .

My 1970 Broadmoor: no way I'll be able to let this one go regardless of how well the Big Ten turns out. I've got a snow blower for it that I'll post in the classifieds.

Thanks SimpleTractors - an amazing source of support and information!

Very nice! People use the fender getting off the tractor is the only thing I can think of and the weight slowly flattens them out.

Real nice, my Gardenmark Squire has the flat looking fenders. before this site: I thought that that was the way they were supposed to be dz. jh

Thanks for the feedback guys. Really looking forward to working on this machine. I think today I'll go after the steering wheel and correct the orientation - probably will need to get down to the steering gear and reconnect the shaft in it's proper posistion?

Regarding the trailer: it is a purpose built 3-place motorcycle trailer that happens to be just wide enough to get a tractor on it as well. The Broadmoor fits a bit better than the Big Ten, but that I have an idea or two on how to remedy that.

Happy New Year by the way.

You should like the Big Ten, easy to work on. And yes you'll have to do a 180 flip on the bottom of the steering shaft, the steering wheel is keyed and goes on one way. Does the toggle switch on the dash go to anything ? maybe used to have headlights.... and the fenders look way better. dOd

Nice find, once you get a new seat and put some arm rest on it the fenders will stay in place better. It's hard to beat the old foot draggiers.

Nice tractor, nice Honda! Is that a CT70? We have a Honda QA50 in the shed my wife bought years ago. Great for riding around the neighborhood.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Gilmer
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site maintenance scheduled to begin 10a CDT on 3/16/24
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts