Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
PhanDad

Winter Ready - Finally

PhanDad
Since it's almost 2012 and the weather people are finally calling for some cold weather in the Phila area next week I figured I better get winter ready. I've been "Top Down" ready for about a month:

So far the only snow we had was the 4" "Halloween snow" that occurred in the middle of leaf season. Wasn't ready for that, but it melted in a day or so. But before the "Top" goes on, the Kohler winter baffle gets installed:

Then it's "Top Up:

The cab wasn't made with power steering in mind:

And now we wait:

Talntedmrgreen
Looks great! I've been ready for a month, and have had no measureable snow. They are calling for a foot starting tomorrow...10-20" just to the north of us, and we'll be looking at 35-45mph wind. Kinda eliminates the need for claering snow }:)

PhanDad
I forgot to post a pic of the dash layout for the spout rotator. Since I wanted to keep the rotator switch on the left side of the dash, I installed the choke cable to the left of the original location when I installed the power steering kit:

This let me use the "choke" hole for the spout rotator switch:

So each hand now has two jobs: Left hand: raise/lower the blower and rotate the chute Right hand: forward/reverse/speed and change chute deflector angle. While my feet do nothing. Guess there is an advantage to a foot controlled hydro! Sam, with the power steering, there's no difference with the snowblower mounted vs not mounted. I'm now officially spoiled. When I use my Homelite it seems steering takes so much effort. But I still like its Vickers hydro better.

Brettw
Bring on the Snow Meister! Looks like you are ready to go. Of course, like myself, get the cab, get more prepared than I have been in years and.....they were barefoot water skiing the day after Christmas, and I almost went golfing last week. Sort of like the inversely proportional rain dance. Sigh..........

SmilinSam
I mean how much better is the tractor & blower driving with power steering vs manual steering? Trying to decide if I want the last PS unit those guys have on the shelf for my Da-917 I blow snow with.

PhanDad
Sam, I was trying to say the same as Ray. Steering the tractor with or without the snowblower mounted is the same: effortless. I haven't used the power steering in snow yet, but usually the tractor turned easier since the snow/ice lessens the tire grip. I don't expect any effort difference. I do have the thrust washers installed on the spindles, but I don't think this makes the steering any different as to effort with the power steering installed.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• kwt
    • smalljob
    • Ronald Hribar
  • Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Recent Status Updates

• dav-1

dav-1  »  Talntedmrgreen

Over a year ago, you answered a question I had about the tool bar for my FDT. In your reply dated Dec 31, 2019  you said the spacer, part #16, goes in the bar to allow for up and down depth adjustment. does this mean the bolt has to be tightened at whatever depth desired or does the bolt slide up and down, allowing the lower hitch to free float?
         If it is tightened so the lower hitch and the bar are rigid, then is the depth to be controlled by the shoes? Or by the lift handle?
        Is there any kind of user directions for the tool bar? The Outdoor Power Manual basically shows how to assemble the bar but not how to use it
      · 1 reply
    • tribswede

tribswede  »  goatfarmer

ISO a deck for a 6516 H and all the connecting hardware any ideas on where to start?

· 1 reply
  • Adverts