Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Winter Ready - Finally

PhanDad

Since it's almost 2012 and the weather people are finally calling for some cold weather in the Phila area next week I figured I better get winter ready. I've been "Top Down" ready for about a month:

So far the only snow we had was the 4" "Halloween snow" that occurred in the middle of leaf season. Wasn't ready for that, but it melted in a day or so. But before the "Top" goes on, the Kohler winter baffle gets installed:

Then it's "Top Up:

The cab wasn't made with power steering in mind:

And now we wait:

Looks great! I've been ready for a month, and have had no measureable snow. They are calling for a foot starting tomorrow...10-20" just to the north of us, and we'll be looking at 35-45mph wind. Kinda eliminates the need for claering snow }:)

I forgot to post a pic of the dash layout for the spout rotator. Since I wanted to keep the rotator switch on the left side of the dash, I installed the choke cable to the left of the original location when I installed the power steering kit:

This let me use the "choke" hole for the spout rotator switch:

So each hand now has two jobs: Left hand: raise/lower the blower and rotate the chute Right hand: forward/reverse/speed and change chute deflector angle. While my feet do nothing. Guess there is an advantage to a foot controlled hydro! Sam, with the power steering, there's no difference with the snowblower mounted vs not mounted. I'm now officially spoiled. When I use my Homelite it seems steering takes so much effort. But I still like its Vickers hydro better.

Bring on the Snow Meister! Looks like you are ready to go. Of course, like myself, get the cab, get more prepared than I have been in years and.....they were barefoot water skiing the day after Christmas, and I almost went golfing last week. Sort of like the inversely proportional rain dance. Sigh..........

I mean how much better is the tractor & blower driving with power steering vs manual steering? Trying to decide if I want the last PS unit those guys have on the shelf for my Da-917 I blow snow with.

Great looking rig! If you don't like how the cab fits with the power steering, I'd be willing to take it off your hands:)

Sam, on mine with power streering it is easier than the manual I had before. You don`t seem to notice the weight of the blower out front.

Sam, I was trying to say the same as Ray. Steering the tractor with or without the snowblower mounted is the same: effortless. I haven't used the power steering in snow yet, but usually the tractor turned easier since the snow/ice lessens the tire grip. I don't expect any effort difference. I do have the thrust washers installed on the spindles, but I don't think this makes the steering any different as to effort with the power steering installed.