Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Another 18hp twin cylinder snowblower

ridgerunner

I came accross another 18hp twin cylinder snowblower, that I'm thinking of picking up. This one's (I'm guessing) a little over 4' wide, without the added wings. It has a Kohler Command twin. The hook up mounts, on it are for a Bob-Cat I think? Has any one seen one of these? Are the Kohler Command twins any good? I'd like to get it and maybe mount it on the 3-pt, on my IH 184, strictly as a back up tractor for the winter. The story behind it is... That it runs great, he doesn't have anything to put it on, it's been sitting up on the top rack for more than a few years now in his warehouse/barn. So it's quite dirty from sitting up on the rafers. I can pick it up for $400, and hear it run and make sure everything works before I buy it. Thoughts please

quote:
Originally posted by GLPointon
If you found the right buyer and cleaned it up you could make alot of $
I'm not looking to make money off it. I know the guy, and he knows it's worth more also. He's cutting me a good deal. So I wouldn't buy it, just so I can sell it, to turn a profit for me. I'm just questioning the Kohler Command twin, I'd like some feed back on it. I've never owned a Kohler anything. Don't know anything about them (good or bad) Everything that I've ever owned with a small engine, has always been a Briggs.

The Command is an excellent engine and will be the next repower I do in a Sovereign. I have one in my Prestige and I have had it 10 years without any issues, but the one I caused. I didn`t follow the owners manual when I first bought it. It stated to shut it down at wide open to half throttle. I thought that was silly and shut it off at idle. After spending around $325.00 to have the head gaskets changed after blowing one out because of backfiring, I now shut it off as the manual states. It has been 6 years since they were replaced and no issues and uses no oil. If it has a fuel shut off solenoid then it needs to be shut off as described above. If not you can shut off at idle. The motor is worth the asking price alone. You are lucky if you can find a command used for less than 600 dollars. I have a Honda GX620 in my 917H and it has a shut off solenoid and it doesn`t backfire if you shut it off at idle or wide open throttle but the manual doesn`t mention how to shut it down.

• 3 weeks later...