Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My dad's 718 with new muffler

chuckdog

My dad needed a new muffler on his Allis 718H. He had an old car muffler with some pipe connected to it, that he wanted to use and fab up. So on Monday Dec. 12, I stopped by after work and helped dad on a few projects, and then we started on his tractor. He had already adapted another pipe coming out with one of those cheapo round threaded mufflers but the tractor was obnoxiously loud. So I cut off the old muffler pipe, and cleaned up the end of the pipe, and then we welded this muffler overtop of it. Dad had a stroke seven years ago and couldn't weld anymore so he handed me the muffler and I tacked it into place. When I went around the other side to start welding it on, I noticed that dad handed me the muffler upside down and the inlet side was pointed down. I told him it was getting late and that I could stop by the next day and we could cut it off, flip it over, and finish it. Well, on Dec. 13, I lost my dad in a fatal car accident where someone crossed the centerline and hit him head on. He died instantly from the internal injuries that he received from the impact. So dad and I didn't get to finish this together, but it was on his list of things to do the next day. So over the course of the rest of that week, my brother cut off the muffler and flipped it. I finished welding it, and also put on a straight section of pipe that he had cut that had a bend on it. Him and I had talked about making a support so that this muffler wasn't all hanging from the engine, so I took a piece of square tubing and flattened the ends of it and welded the one end to the muffler and drilled a hole on the other end and picked up a hole that was drilled in the frame. Anyways here are the pictures. Someday if I ever get to inherit this tractor, I think this montrous muffler will have to stay. My dad was a practical guy in his repairs. He could care less what something looked like, he just wanted to make sure it was functional and served it's purpose. I think this muffler proves that, it is quiet, and he had it on the shelf and it was paid for, so might as well use it.

Quite a unique setup, and one that will have to stay. Terribly sorry about your loss. The story was simply shocking. I wish your family well. I'm sure the holidays will never quite be the same sm02

My Dad was just like him. He would get a kick out of fixing something with parts/pieces he had laying around vs buying new ;) I think as times get harder there's a good lesson in that for all of us...God Bless

Chuck, I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like you treasured every day with him. I'm he's smiling down on you and his tractor!

Sorry to here that story. It sounds though that you were able to spend quality time with him before he passed. Anytime you are able to work on these tractors is quality time. I will pray for you and your family.

Sorry for your loss, and as a neighbor will look forward to seeing your tractor some day. With that stack you can sneak up on people...

I'm also sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sure you'll have many happy memories "brought back" when you see that muffler.