Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

725 Third Gear Stuck problem solved PIC

fpappal

The gear on the left was stuck solid on the shaft. I had to use a hammer to get it to move. When I slide it back to the left it keeps getting stuck. Any idea how to get this moving smooth again? The key does not look bad to me, but I will probably replace it anyways. I was thinking about taking the gears off the shaft and cleaning the shaft with some emmery cloth. In order to take the gears off I need to remove the snap ring. Is there an easy way to remove the snap ring?

Get a pair of snap ring pliers, I find I use my set with a ninety degree bend in them more than my straight ones. You can get both at any auto parts store.

Snap rings are always a bugger to remove, patience is almost always a requirement when dealing with them. I can't tell from the photo if it is the type with holes or a wire type. In either case snap ring pliers are the way to go, but there are different types of pliers depending on the snap-ring type. An alternative method is to use a pick and small screwdriver to remove it.

I never had pliers so I just use small screwdriver and vise. Its a pain. I'm certain that pliers are easier. Glad you finally solved your problem. Can't wait till your driving it.

I do have snap ring pliers but this snap ring does not have the little holes in it that the pliers slide into. I will work at it. I am still not sure why the gear was stuck in place. Is emerry cloth a good idea? or should I be trying something different? Thanks for the replies. I have a long way to go before I drive it. The engine was covered with oil when I got it. Once I get the transmission back together that is the next project.

Welcome to the club. If the gears are stuck, most likely the shaft is corroded, or you could say dirty. I used a dremel with a stone to remove most of the corrosion from the shift shaft on a T-12. Then I used the emery paper to finish it off nice. The gears slid off and on perfectly after that.

and after:

PS: Had to torture the snap ring off. Ice pick and screw driver. PS PS: Remove only the corrosion. Creating a flat spot or void on the shaft will cause an imbalance. Gentle, gentle, gentle.

Well the cold front is moving into the NE. AND it's time to get the equipment ready for the white stuff. Here is my "Field Queen" dressed for winter. Even with chains, the traction leaves a lot to be desired.

I'll report later on the effect on snow removal. The 4212 is nowhere comparable to my 2110 Landlord.

Here are the pliers you need for the wire type lock rings. Worth their weight in gold. [url]http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lock-Ring-Pliers,8640.html[/url] John U

Thanks for the responses. I got the snap ring off using regular snap ring plier, pretty sure I got lucky because it came off super easy. I will def order a set of pliers actually made for this type of ring. Where can replacement key be purchased? Is that something I need to go to simplicity for or is it more of a NAPA item?

Key stock is available at your local hardware store, they might even have it cut to the length you need. If not, a good hack saw and a file will do the job.

Get the original key from Simplicity if you can. The plain stuff is not hardend and will bend under heavy loads or accidental foot slipping off the cluch. Then your back into it again for that same stuck gear problem. Ken