Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 5020 - 60" Mower Deck

dmarkie

I am rebuiding my 60" center mount mower deck. I recall reading a forum (possibly this one?) where the writers were discussing the spindle setup for this mower deck. You see each of the three blade spindles on this unit currently has about 3/8" end play which to me does not seem correct. I have the parts dwgs but do not have the technical bulletin for the spindle assembly instruction so I'm needing help in determining what the endplay should be. I'm sorry i can't post the assembly pics. I've tried to post pics recently but being a nonmember it seems to not allow this even though the instructions say i should be able to. That's another story.... thx Dave

Dave, I went to this website got the ID # for your tractor. I think you have a 5020 Diesel correct? The ID I found was 2097106 or 2097107 either one has a 60" mower deck. If you look at this this forum here go to the drop down menus at the top of the page and look for what fits or on the left side of the page is a search engine for manuals. Plug in the Id no. and you can down load a manual. http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=simplicity&mh=30,31,32 Here is a manual. http://www.simplicitymfg.com/manuals/index.cfm?rd=1 Good luck Tom Hotwire

Dave, Here is the parts manual for the 60" center mount mower deck you have. It is a large PDF file may take a while to download depending on your PC speed. Look on pgs 134 to 148 of 300 Pgs. Hope this might help doesn't give end play or side play specs. You may have parts diagrams already. It gives pt. numbers as well. good luck. http://www.simplicitymfg.com/manuals/index.cfm?rd=1 Tom

Thank you everyone for your help. Though i have the parts manuals for the tractor and mower deck the ones provided here have the additional parts indexes which helps also. What I am trying to figure out, and maybe i need to call an AGCO dealer of someone that knows these older mower decks, is the mower blade spindles and how much end-play they should have when rebuilding the spindles. I've not taken them apart yet but I see that all three spindles have about 3/8" travel (up and down) which to me does not seem correct. Based on that I am thinking i should rebuild these since i'm already going through the deck and repairing. I'm sure this will not be inexpensive so I'd like to make sure my assumption that very little (few thousandths) should be the final condition and not what i have now. Anyone with experience in these spindle assemblies or if they know where to look would be a real help. Thanks again to everyone here. You guys are a real help with all my tractor questions. Dave

The spindles have some play, think mine after rebuild had about 1/8 inch but 3/8 seems excessive. There are hardened washers, wear cup, and needle bearings on the top of the spindles and if these are shot or gone entirely it can cause the play. IF gone too far it will damage the top of the spindle shoulder area these use as a stop. The parts can be pricey for all the components but are available although with some design changes. Do a search of the forum, recently maybe the last month or so someone had posted about using washers only.