Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Command Head Gasket?

Bruker

My f-i-l's Prestige is getting to be a real PIA this year. I'm not 100% sure but I've got a feeling that one of the head gaskets is blown. The engine starts and runs but it makes a "puffing" sound under one of the cylinders and it "puffs" some smoke when starting. How difficult is it to replace a head gasket or is this something i should leave up to a mechanic?

Most of the small engines are fairly easy to work on, I would first go to the Kohler site and download the manual for the engine, then see if you have the right tools for the job, also make sure you have the correct parts on hand and then tear into it. Good Luck

Is it burning alot of oil? Mine did when the head gasket went. Has he shut it down according to the operators manual? Should be shut down at half throttle to wide open throttle. I didn`t do that at first and the backfiring caused my head gasket to blow.

I checked into it this afternoon and it's the head gasket on the left side. There's a section of the gasket that's about a half inch wide that's all gone except for the metalic material. As far as him shutting it off at half throttle or more, I doubt it but I'll be sure to remind him of it this spring. Since I have the engine this far disassembled do you think I should just replace the gaskets on each cylinder?

Might as well. When the dealer done mine he said that the gaskets he replaced mine with were better than when they built the tractor. That the were having issues with head gaskets. I think Al has mention that in the past as well.

The new style head gaskets allow re-use of the head bolts/studs also. There is a new torquing procedure. On engines with studs the nuts should be replaced.

Received the parts from Jacks yesterday and installed them today. I still need to replace the battery so I haven't had a chance to start it up yet but the gasket replacement job was pretty easy.