Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3012 transmission UPDATED

henroan

I swapped a 3012 Tranny with my 725 since that was the tranny I could find locally. I've noticed that when plowing snow the tractor stops when the load gets to be to much. The wheels don't spin like the 2012 that I have do, it just stops.Why are the wheels not spinning when the load gets to be to much? Is it possible that the drive belt is just spinning on the drive pulley even when the clutch is out? And if that's happening wouldn't I hear or smell a problem? I can't tell when I am driving it since its all under the seat. Is this 3012 tranny doing what its supposed to do? TIA Patrick.

I ran into the same thing when tractor pulling. Check to see if there are two mounting holes for the clutch idler. Make sure it is in the outer hole. Mine would slip when mounted in the inner hole, but would kill the engine before slipping when mounted in the outer hole. Also check your belt and make sure it is the correct width. If the belt is too narrow it will sit on the very inside surface and will not wedge into the pulleys and produce the needed friction. You are less likely to hear any squealing of the belt when it is cold. Also in cold air the belt will slip but may not get hot enough to cause the normal slippage smell.

Make sure your drive belt is 1" wide. On mine the fail point was 7/8" wide. At that point it wouldn't get any traction to go up a hill in spite of adjustments other than at full speed position. A new belt will set you back a little bit but the difference is night and day.