Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

"A TEST"...Find the clue & see why I'm an idiot

GLPointon

I finally got a few inches of snow here in NW Indiana. I have been eager to try out the new snow cab and spout rotator. So I checked the oil & gased up the tank, aired a tire, and away I go... Look at each pic without skipping ahead and see if you can discover why I'm an idiot & why I'll be pushing the tractor back inside???

Running great...:D

still running A-OK... But, as soon as I turn into the wind for a while the engine starts to run rough...then dies...I get it restarted...2 mins. later dies again...wont start...my son & I push it in :O Do you see it yet?

How about now?

There it is!!!:(!

What kind of idiot,after refueling,lays the funnel down right by the gas cap & forgets to put it back on? dz

The Pic below I'm getting ready to drain the gas/water from the tank & the carb bowl ngr2

The good news...the Cab & Spout Rotator worked perfectly sm01

Live to fight (or snowblow) another day...;)

After you get it running right and the cap back on. Use a spray paint cap over the gas cap that will keep water from getting into tank through the cap as well.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
After you get it running right and the cap back on. Use a spray paint cap over the gas cap that will keep water from getting into tank through the cap as well.
excellent idea!!

And I thought the answer was going to be carb icing since you're not running a heat shield and when blowing into the wind probably had snow (moisture) around the carb. Glad it was an easily fixed problem. So, did you punish yourself by finish blowing the drive after getting the tractor running? Or did your son already have it shoveled?

The original winterizing kits had a metal gas cap to use instead of the plastic cap with the gauge. Why is that supposed to be better in winter? Just harder to get ice on it and freeze up the vent holes? The metal cap has three large vent holes. By the way, you'll want the heat shields for the carburetor or soon you'll have no governor action.

quote:
I finally got a few inches of snow here in NW Indiana.
A few inches? We got an average of 13" over here. Normally you guys get nailed, this storm went east. Oh well, be gone by the weekend.....}:)

quote:
Originally posted by perry
atleast you didn't leave it on the tractor, fall off and run it over sm00
Or had it drop on the ground and not found it till summer over in the neighbors yard in multiple pieces:D. And John has a good point, at least it didn't cost you anything except maybe a little bit of pride and some time. I am guessing you had a serious case of "buck" fever in your excitement to use your new toy, I meant tool:). Oh and you might want to bribe your son to keep the story to himself;)

I haven't done that, but I have started my 3416H without replacing the oil cap after checking an filling it, makes a mess fast, and I have refilled same after oil change without putting the drain plug back in, 1 quart into one side, runs out onto the ground on the other. Another mess. And I have put blades on backwards... and I have confessed to much! }:)

It looks like you have the cab fabric folded back on the hood. I have always run with the fabric forward covering the gas cap to keep snow out of that area. I have had LOTS of snow piled up in front of the cab on the hood.

Thanks Guys I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one that forgets the obvious sometimes... And yes, I will cover the gas cap with the cab flap or a plastic cap to keep snow out of vent hole.sm01

Greg: A few points to ponder---if it weren't for the cab you'd have noticed right away there was no gas cap. Solution-Throw the cab away!! At least the cap was nice and dry--no chance of snow plugging the vent where it was laying. And last--ain't it great when you do something dumb and can't wait to tell everyone so we can all have a good laugh knowing we're not the only ones??????? I had a "friend" here one day when I left the drain plug out while pouring the new oil in...my reasoning was that I wanted to flush out the crankcase!!! I sometimes enjoy the stupid stuff I do as long as it doesn't cost anything. Thanks for sharing and remember--you have lots of company.

Greg....wait till you graduate to changing the oil in the engine and forgetting to put the new oil back in:Oyell:|| Yours truly has done that number twice nowXX( Fortunatley I caught myself the first time just as the engine started to run the first time. Its still running to this day. the secomd time I managed to catch my err during the "check to see if I really put the oil back in" stupidity check I started doing everytime I change oil now.:D

Sam...no oil?...Just tell 'em you were seating the rings ;)...I worry about that enough to try to always put the key on or under the edge of the oil bottle...but I have started engines w/the oil fill cap off a few times, some engines blow oil out really good.:(!
quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
Greg....wait till you graduate to changing the oil in the engine and forgetting to put the new oil back in:Oyell:|| Yours truly has done that number twice nowXX( Fortunatley I caught myself the first time just as the engine started to run the first time. Its still running to this day. the secomd time I managed to catch my err during the "check to see if I really put the oil back in" stupidity check I started doing everytime I change oil now.:D

As an amateur mech, I can fully relate to all the lil booboos and preventative measures also - to the point where I have become an obsessive compulsive, where everything gets checked 9 times. If I do something wrong, I seem to become trapped there even long after I set it right. I find it interesting how my tools accumulate in piles where I had a serious struggle with something - finding tools becomes a return to the last battlefield - and reliving it - ptsd. What a view. 8) Nice knowing it's all done tho; test drives watching and wondering until trust sets in. Then on to the next episode. Welcome to my world. Thanks for sharing yours. sm01