Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

CHEAP Simplicity replacement seats? Price?

hotrodtractor

Wanted to see what you all thought would be a reasonable price for NEW OEM spec simplicity tractor seats. I have access to a truck load of seats 2 versions. One has the thick rubber cover like the 95/96 sovereigns and are just about the most durable seat I have ever ever seen/had. The vinyl ones from previous years always crack out and the new machines are just as bad. I know I have bought replacements before and they never seemed the quality of the simplicity ones. High back ones Thick rubber version Would there be a market for these at say $50 for high back and $75 for rubber or not? If not it may not be worth my effort. I may just try a few on ebay and see how it goes.no offense taken if you all think that is too high just asking.......

great idea... it would be impossible for me to give you a worth to me unless I had exact measurements and other dimentions... your pricing seems in line with TSC or other retail outlets... what would you have to offer that the big chains could not... would your prices include shipping or is that an additional $20? Also, the retail outlets certainly offer name stability and a guarantee or return policy..

all good points! You would be surprised how many like shopping convenience of online. If I shipped for free there would be little to no profit margin. here is bottom view

most seats I have seen at TSC and Farm/Fleet have been around $100 and very thing vinyl or foam. I tried a foam one once it lasted a year or two. The rubber ones on the sovy are about 15yrs old and look as good as day one. I will pick up a few this week and take some measurements. For old 7000 sovereign I do not see why it would matter as most would just drill new holes in deck.... for worker machines.

I have been buying a nice seat with thick rubber cushion at Orscheln (like TSC) for around $40 - $50 plus tax for my Sovereigns. It needs a couple of metal strips to mount also.

Are these model correct Simplicity seats? Or simply a garden tractor seat? If they were NOS Simplicity Sovereign seats, I would think they would be well worth the $50-75. Otherwise, like everyone else says, you can buy seats at Farm & Barn or others for the same or less, with a return and warranty policy.

I have been buying "rubber-cover" seats from a local farm store for $38 or so for low back and $40 or so for higher back. They have a metal pan with a thick rubber cover, similar material to what is on the Simplicity seat pictured, though the styling looks differnet. Rather than drilling holes, I have made adapter plates so I can attach the seats without altering the seat decks. This could interfere with a seat safety switch on newer machines, but isn't a problem on the old ones.

I think sammiefish is giving you a sage piece of advise in that you need to be offering a product that is somewhat of a bargain over what the competition is offering. E-pay is full of money grubbers that want charge extra for shipping and handling or over charge for product to start with. Any incentives will help your cause to to make you stand out.

Ebay now charges a 7.5% fee to shipping cost. Tape, delivering to USPS or UPS isn`t free and materials to ship are not free or provided by shipping service. So there are cost involved besides what the delivery service charges. I think anymore that when buying an item on ebay the buyer is full aware of the total cost before they even place a bid. That way they can decide in advance whether or not they even want to place a bid. I sold a item a couple of weeks ago and by the time ebay and paypal were through they got around 25% in fees. The biggest money grubber in the transaction is ebay itself. I have seen a NOS original seat that they used on the 7000 & 7100 series bring 350 dollars on ebay (one time). Steep? I think so, but whoever purchased it must have been pleased because there was a bunch of bidders. That was before this current depression that we are in.

I betcha those NOS John Deere Patio series seats won't even fetch the $900.00 price tag they were getting before the recession hit.

A few months back there was a patio seat on ebay that had a bid for 858 dollars and ended up not selling because the reserve was not met.

Why do I always... always... see the thread I need AFTER I make my purchase? I just bought a generic USA made tractor seat from Northern, item 1754-1204 for 99 bux. Looks to be a well made, returnable seat. I've been waiting for them to go on sale for months, and they haven't. This one is bound for my 3416H which I recently revived from the dead, and whose seat is a cracked mess. A good number of years ago, I bought a generic hi-back seat from Northern for my 3310H. It was and is absolutely great. That one was on sale for $40, but you had no selection. Mine says Cub Cadet on it. I recall that I had to redrill two holes on the seat guide. It is permanently installed in the rearmost position; won't adjust at all, but I don't care. Altho I could be called a collector, I'm more of a user; one tractor per implement and all. So restoration "authenticity" is not a big factor for me. I did buy a 7116 seat on ebay two years ago for about $20 + $20 shipping. It wasn't satisfactory, and now is used as a tarp holddown. Sure, I could have returned it, but the time and effort involved didn't seem like a good use of my time. Cool website: http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/eyes/

I have been buying aftermarket replacement seats from my local Simplicity dealer for 6-7 years now. Started at $55 and now they are $63. No fees, no shipping, and in NH no sales tax either. The seat pictured here was 4 years old at the time of the picture and had been outside the entire time, having them hinged keeps UV damage to a minimun, the worst ageing factor. This seat is now 6 years old on my most used tractor and is still in great shape despite my 275 plus.....

• 3 months later...
well I have been looking and have not been able to find good rubber seats at any local stores or online. The rubber seats seem hard to find. I put one on my 2000 sovereign and all I had to do was peal off seat cover drill two holes in seat and bolt it up even kept the safety switches. I like the rubber seats as they are just like the factory sovereign ones from 95/96 but a bit shorter and different bolt pattern. There is NO way the vinyl seats like in Larry's pic above would hold up like the thick rubber ones. I have never had to replace on of the 95/96 sovereign seats. But the 99/2000 were awful!