Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Made a bad purchase on a Case 220

JimV

Hey Jim, I know of a guy that needs the hydro pump outta that puppy!? I get those t*rds[off brands] for free,, or I don't gettum at all.

I should have Known better.I called a dealer I sometimes buy trade ins from.I always pick up AC'c off him and I usually do pretty good.He told me over the phone he had a nice 20 hp Case out back. I got there and found it was a 10 hp 220 case with a cutter deck and factory blade with paint and logo still intact.We couldn't get it to fire up And I pulled my back out moving it.He told me it didn,t smoke so I took it anyway.When it did start it smoked an knocked real bad. I am sticking to the A.C.'s and simplicity line from now on and if I don't here it run I won't take there word for it. live and learn I guess.

What do they say? When life deals lemons-make lemonade! I made a similar purchase a year ago. Felt terrible about. Then I thought why not part ot out and get some of the money back. All said and done I ended up making more money than if I had sold the whole tractor running. Ha! ......and I though I made a bad purchase. What did I know! SmilinSam

I usually am successful at negociating a price, putting down a little ($20.00)with the agreement that if I make it run and am satisfied I pay the balance. If not I bring it back and they can keep the $20.00. This leaves you a little margin for error. If a dealer don't want to show you it runs and won't do this, I don't deal. Marion W. Kerr