Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7114s Briggs starter

Modifier1

Hey whats the scoop on starters. ( a # 396306 ) I Went to the cabin to do a little plowing with my 7114 and the starter kicked in and out and once in a while it actually turned the motor over a little. The end cap started to smoke also. I went to pull it out and saw the starter drive was plastic and was mashed potatoes. I checked at Napa $115.00 w/shipping I checked ebay $34 to $102 new. Parts tree was $156.00. What is a reasonable price? I pulled the pulled the end cap off, it looks ok not burned up. Rebuild it? Thanks

I just bought a $35 E-Bay one, have not used it yet but was refered to it by another member, they have good feedback...and cheap too sm01

Do some research, I will try to too. I have 2 starters for Briggs off of vanguard engines. I will ship ya one N/C, you pay the shipping. Prolly $10 or less USPS it fits it ships box. Only number I can find on either is on the shorter of the two 9609185M. Diameter and mounting brackets appear to be the same, slight difference in the "Bendix?". PM me if it works for you.

Hey all you guys are Knights in shinny armour. Some just shine a little brightersm01 Wht do they use plastic drives. I see they are sold by the bag full on ebay?

I think the starters are basically the same except for the D.E. frame of which you have on your starter. Both your strtr body and Bretts strtr body should measure 4-3/8" give or take a couple of whiskers. And he has a good pinion too also, I'll bet.|)

You have this guy in your own back yard and for approx $40.00 you can have new starter delivered to your door. http://www.psep.biz/store/contact_us.htm http://www.psep.biz/store/briggs_stratton_alternators_and_starters_by_oem_.htm

If it smoked on you, I'd check to be sure one or more of the brushes aren't worn short or stuck. That also goes hand in hand with it not engaging every time IMO. Easy enough fix if it is.

Plastic gears on starter are MUCH easier & cheaper to replace than flywheel ring gear.
quote:
Originally posted by Modifier1
Wht do they use plastic drives. I see they are sold by the bag full on ebay?