Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ken728

Big Ten vs. Varmint

ken728
This is the tractor I got last month that had been parked for 8-10 years. Look at that pile of acorns and dirt/compost that I pulled out of the frame area below the gas tank. This thing was home to several generations of mice from the looks of it. I knew there was some stuff in there, but when I pulled the side panels off it was half full of this crap. That pile is at 6" high now, and I'm not done yet. Probably should pull the engine out while I'm at it - this survivor is going to need some TLC.

While I was in there I corrected the steering shaft position which was 180 degrees off.

Still, I'm encouraged by the overall condition of this unit. A general carb rebuild and then we'll see if she'll run. It has the snow thrower pulley attached to the crank at the front of the tractor, and I'm able to turn the engine pretty easily so I'm not sure how good the compression is.

Talntedmrgreen
Yeah, she looks real good for her age. You got half the free acorns I had in my Big Ten when I tore her down for a redo. My steering was so bad, I couldn't save the gears...they were shot, and turning the wheel, it would jump teeth.

ken728
I just noticed that the engine is the correct type, 243431-0123: but the code is 6602171. So, this tractor (or engine anyway) was built in February '66? Maybe this is a late Big Ten.

ken728
Yes, there is evidence of some painting that had been done here and there. Mostly the white, and possibly some of the frame as well. The engine was sprayed at some point for sure. In general, it's in real good condition. Lucky me.

JimDk
Ken, That is a nice tractor. Typical mouse condo, though. Before trying to start it, I would pull the small engine cover around the spark plug. That will let you check for mouse nests around the flywheel. If it's not wet debris, I have had some success with coat hanger wire and my shop vac. Use care around the coil you might be lucky and not have chewed wires.

GLPointon
Good luck Ken, that looks like a great tractor dOd I need to tear one down & clean out too... I have a mouse nest in a AC410 I got running, the engine got hot and was blowing out grass,fur,plastic,nest materials :Y

Sign in to follow this