Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Buickgsman

Will a B110 Axle or spindles work on a roundhood?

Buickgsman
I want to get rid of the angled front tire look on the Big Ten and I am wondering if the straight up and down spindles from a B110 will work on my existing from beam? It looks like it should but I figured I would ask to confirm. Thanks Bob

dav
a few years back i think there was a discussion about front spindles. i vaguely remember something about a 15 degree lean on some models but not on others. have i got that right? one of my tractor's has a very noticably difference from one side to the other. i figured a p.o. had changed one spindle. why would they design so much lean (is that castor or camber?)into it anyway? it's not a high performance machine.

Talntedmrgreen
I like the camber...sure feels like my round hoods turn much sharper than my flathoods, plus I like the 'tractor' look. That lean with a set of triribs...oh boy, I like that! =]

GLPointon
It's Camber, Where the tire bottom is in closer to center of tractor than the top. Its designed to help the inboard tire dig in more on a turn, used mostly in bigger Ag tractors. Cars have the adjustment too but in high speed curves it helps the outboard & inboard tires stay more level when vehicle rolls/sways to the outside of curve.

dentwizz
The spindle camber also aids in required steering input force. The more centered the axis is to the center of the tread of the tire the easier it is turn. The difference is less noted on comparing the early to the 110 because the 110-on had higher gear reduction than the originals. I just had that experiment with the wheels on my original 64LL. Wide wheels with the outward spindle placement(off-centered), essentially the same situation, made for very hard steering. Reducing the spacing to center it made it much more liveable. In other words, my recommendation would be that if you sought to change the axle, be prepared to change the steering assembly too.

Buickgsman
I am thinking it might be a negligible difference. Here is why I am thinking that. A friend has a 66 Landlord 2010 and his wheels are straight up and down and his turns just fine. His 2010 should have the same steering setup as the Big Ten right? If so than I should be ok with straightening out the wheels by swapping the hubs right? Thanks Bob

Chris727
I think the change came around the time of the "late" or "bumble bee" tractors. This was when they had introduced the 12hp B-12 and 2012 Landlord with the wide front rims. I see no reason that you can't swap the spindles to the straight ones.