Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My $30 weekend score

ridgerunner

I picked this up this weekend. It's and older RanchKing with an 18hp twin Briggs. I was told about it back in early November, but didn't get a chance to look at it till this weekend. I knew it wasn't an Allis or Simplicity, just a $30 RanchKing, so there wasn't any urgency to go and check it out. Boy, was I surprised when I seen it. This thing is clean, and in nice shape. It's been sitting in his garage for the last five years or so. He had used it up at his cabin. But had sold the property, and brought the tractor home and parked it in his garage. The mower deck is even in good shape, although dirty just like the tractor, from sitting in a garage.

The tractor looks great. Same engine as the one I pulled from a murry to put in my 6212.5 What's going on with the old Ford in the background? Looks like fun. It's about to tip over standing there. lol

quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen
I like the slicks on the front ;)
Yes, I should have negotiated some, and offered much less. :O Or maybe he should have demanded more, for the special and rare "no scalp, smooth turf tires" ;)

Think you did darn well! That motor if in "reasonable shape is like $150 on ebay. As a spare grass cutter, you did well in my book. Looks like her did take care of it.

I know it's not going to leave stripes, or even come close to a professional cut compared to a Simplicity. But has anyone used one of these to cut grass? If so how well does it cut?

quote:
Or maybe he should have demanded more, for the special and rare "no scalp, smooth turf tires"
On damp grass it must have a turning radius of ohhhhh ....... maybe 20 feet or so? Nice find though. The engine alone is worth many times what you paid, and the tractor, gutted, will bring about $35 in scrap (if you should ever choose to go that route). It almost seems a shame as it looks to be in pretty good shape.

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
quote:
Or maybe he should have demanded more, for the special and rare "no scalp, smooth turf tires"
On damp grass it must have a turning radius of ohhhhh ....... maybe 20 feet or so? Nice find though. The engine alone is worth many times what you paid, and the tractor, gutted, will bring about $35 in scrap (if you should ever choose to go that route). It almost seems a shame as it looks to be in pretty good shape.
In NASCAR, they call that "pushing like a Mack truck", or "Plowing like a tractor", In F1, they call it "Understeer".

My aunt has a newer Ranch King and yes it is a MTD. Hate to say it but hers does an excellent job. Atleast it will cut the dandelions even with the rest of the grass.

I processed and sold one like that(though a lot less cosmetic) in the summer. It is one of the nicer MTD variations. The thing to look out for is the arbor bearings. If they get play the timing belt under the cover can allow the blades to hit(BAD). The one that I did had that happen and it left holes in the deck:O. Good running design though as long as you keep the inspections up.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• gwiseman
    • oldsarge
    • StanD
    • TheFlash300
    • Darl Swartz
    • Tarheel
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site maintenance scheduled to begin 10a CDT on 3/16/24
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts