Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

The week that Was

MPH

Only good tractor news was I found a place in Fairbanks that will test my old S&g's and sell me parts off the shelf to fix them. I found them on a trip up there to have a new hot water heatting manifold made up from secdule 80 pipe for my new stove as it went to leaking on New Years Day. 87 dollars for the pipe, 19 bucks for cutting threads so 100 bucks to weld it up.

burning the OD paint off a heavy military drum I scored at the dumpsters last summer, just because they make good stove barrels.

Cutting the holes for the manifold

Installed from the back of stove

Back to making hot water. Didn't have the air duct work back on top the stove yet, forgot how good that tin work works for moving the heat up into the house.

Covered my hot water tank with foil bubble wrap while I had the duct work off and could reach it all. Sure holds the heat in it.

Very nice job. Good idea about the bubble wrap! Dues the tank or area get too warm, as to melt the plastic? And the duct work above the "heater" is a very good idea. You could add a small fan to help draw? That a wood chute above the blue area? Thanks for sharing.

John, in the 4h picture you can see where I left the insulation off for 30 inches next to where the stove sits. Don't think it will melt when the water maxes out at 185 before the pop off valve lets go. Yes, that is my wood chute, just finished dropping about 1 1/4 cord down it.

Finished getting the duct work back on last nite.

those wood burners work great but I gotta ask this.... does your home owners insurance know you have it? My dad had a manufactured wood burner with double wall pipe ran straight threw the roof and they canceled on him. Never once an issue and that wood burner was in the house 20 years! I can't imagine what they'd say about a DIY one.

If homeowners is even close to being as non-existant up there as it is in the rural areas around here I doubt it's even an issue; and I'm guessing that's the case. Always enjoy your topics from up North. I'm jealous of the snow though...

Marty, Thanks again for sharing the pics and great work as usual. But in the second and third pics, what is that white stuff that is all over? At my age you forget stuff pretty easily; many times if you don't see something in a year you forget. ;)

Marty; does the hot water tank just supply domestic hot water or do you circulate it through a heat exchanger/fan unit for house heat as well as the gravity heat in the ductwork? Just curious. Nice plumbing and sheetmetal work. Dave.

Thinking about pulling the wood floor out of the 10x24 foot entry way and pouring a concrete floor with heat pipes in it, but that sure seems like one heck of a lot of work just to get better use outta the system.

That looks like a very cool setup (in an off-the-grid sort of way) I like the ducted heat from the wood burner but I hope you have a few carbon monoxide detectors too just for safety...sm01

Thats a awesome system.I have clayton wood burner hooked up in garage and the duck work goes up over and down then trough bond,connects directly to domestic furnace duct.Gotta say my garage is warm just from radiant heat,but think it would have been way more effient in basement next to other furnace.Mine can eat some wood. Clayton has two holes in back for the stainless steel u-tube to mount in fire box. I have not hooked it up yet.they want almost three hundred for the s.s. pipe aggh. I wonder if you had that s.s. piped if it would last forever. Saving 1000.00 every two months in winter feels good. (propane is expensive). Thinking i might run some pex pipe under kitchen floor on it's way to 75 gallon water heater.Double dip it a little.lol. Like your setup and carbon monoxide detectors are nice peace of mind.

My home owners insurance will not allow wood burning whatsoever. Checked several other companies and what it would cost extra cancelled out the wood savings. About the same time they came by with natural gas so it was a moot point there. As we get more neighbors they are pushing to ban the outdoor units as they don't like the smoke so I am kinda glad I am out of the wood business now. Had to take out the old boiler system and the 4 foot long expansion system when I switched and now have a 2 X 3 box hanging on the wall. Things sure have changed. When I was a kid and went to school in the country we had a big wood burner in the back of the room with a jacket on it about nine feet in diameter. Wonder how many teachers today would want to come early and get a fire started to warm the place up????

David, I normally get a good 10 years outta the old military drums. The SOTZ door kit has been used since 1984 and still will put out the fire if shut down completely. Think this is its third barrel. Jody, have known several people around here that ran pex between the floor joist, insulated below it, and were very disappointed in the results. Think the pex needs to be encased in concrete to get the heat out of it good. If I had to heat with propane u here I'd have cold house. Heatting oil, in my Toyo runs 3-4 gallons/day when I'm gone, times 4 bucks = 14 bucks/day ave, x 30 = 420/month. Including a new radiator in my ole dodge this year after ramming a stick through it I had 620 dollars in wood cutting, for the entire year plus some. Jim, ya been around awhile, wood heat in the school house.:):)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• PGL
    • littlemarv
    • Brettw
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts