Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

oil leaking from shift shaft - Normal?(Big Ten)

Buickgsman

Is it normal that oil leaks out of the slide shaft that shifts the transmission? I am still getting used to all the mechanical parts of the tractors so bare with me. Should I expect to see a decent drip out of the back of this slide shaft? Thanks Bob

i dont know if it is supposed to seep but all my FDT's do it. at the end of a 4 day tractor show, i figure i've lost a teaspoon of oil. doesn't take much to look messy. been a few years since i had a trannie split open but i don't remember any O rings on that shaft

Bob all mine seep a bit, I wouldn't call them leaks because it never drips. But they seep, and 90w oil creeps downward like a glacier. My 7010 even seeps from axle seals too, I sure I could fix that but 90w is cheap...I think thats why the OEM trannys have been black for a long time now sm01

Ya but oil vs fresh paint = me getting really hot headed then . And then more time to keep it all cleaned up and looking good is a big thing I think . This is just my nickels worth lol

I think the rear has too much oil in it. The rear end has a drain plug and another fill plug right above the drain plug. The oil level should be no higher than the fill plug. jh

John, I just changed the oil but added only to the level of the second plug. I gotta figure there isnt much i can do about it at least for now until i decide if i want to tear into the rear.

That does look a bit more than most maybe...but the alternative is likley messy and difficult. Like I said B4 I think thats the main reason they went to black trannys...sm01

Hi all, just thinking out loud if it were mine I would get a seal that is the coreect size for the shaft and glue it in place with JB Weld or air craft glues. get the idea?