Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big_Al

Ease lifting of front mounting attachments

Big_Al
Quote from Simplicity 46" Dozer Blade manual: "Using rear counter weights (mfg #182 with #045) will ease lifting of front mounted attachments. This is mounted on the rear lift assy". Will they help lift the front blade or only add traction to tractor rear? I need both hands to lift snow blade on my Landlord. I have studied rear lift diagrams, but can't see a connection to front rock shaft although there is an empty clevis on that shaft. I know that some came with a hydraulic lift package, but above might be easier. Big_Al

Talntedmrgreen
Al, welcome! Assuming an early Landlord, the rockshaft is connected to the rear lift via a rod and clevis. I think you would be pleasantly surprised at how well the counterweight will work for easing your lifting woes. The front counterweight works equally as well when using a tiller or cultivators too! Someone might have actual #'s for you, but the reduction in pounds your arm has to lift is pretty big.

perry
sounds like you found what you need for the hitch^. you can allways make your own weight. a pipe and a stack of free lift round weights. about 50lb. get too much weight back there and the front blade will float up on ya when plowing.

Talntedmrgreen
I used to hang my wheel wheel weights on a 3/4" steel rod. It was all I had and worked great! I think I used 2 of the 23# weights, and drilled a hole about 6" out on the rod, from the lift, and slide a pin through it to keep the weights out there a bit. Only problem I ever had was that I would find my plow geting heavy AFTER backing into a snowbank and depositing my wheel weights in the snow then driving off. ^

Bill_P
The rear lift group on my 7116 operates in the same orientation as my implement lift- raise the blade (or blower) and the rear lift socket comes up as well. Do some rear lifts operate opposite-wise?

Talntedmrgreen
Bill, the older machines with the rod to the rear lift vs teh cable, operate opposite one another. There is a kit for the running board machines that coverts what you're describing, to allow use of counterweights.

Kent
If you want to go real "cheap and dirty" for a rear counterweight, you might consider something like this. http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/diy_counterweight.htm Only out-of-pocket expense was the bag of premix concrete. Everything else, I found laying around my old barn. I used a a short piece of cable and a hook to connect it to the rear lift. A short length of chain would work just as well. Or, if you were in my neck of the woods, you could stop by and I'd give you this one... :D